Christina - posted on 05/02/2009 ( 2 moms have responded )
2 cupsall-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoonsbaking powder
3/4 teaspoonbaking soda
1 cupmashed ripe bananas (3 medium)
1/2 cupbuttermilk or sour milk*
2 cupssweetened whipped cream** or 6-ounces frozen whipped dessert topping, thawed
1 cupsliced fresh strawberries
1 8-1/4-ounce cancrushed pineapple, well drained
1 11- to 12-ounce jarfudge ice-cream topping
1/2 cupchopped peanuts
1. For cake, grease and flour two 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans; set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add banana, buttermilk or sour milk, shortening, eggs, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour into prepared pans.
2. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on racks.
3. For fillings, divide whipped cream or dessert topping in half. Fold berries into half of the whipped cream. Fold drained pineapple into the other half of the whipped cream. In a small saucepan heat and stir fudge ice-cream topping over low heat just until warm (not hot).
4. To assemble, using a serrated knife, split each cake layer in half horizontally. Place bottom of one split layer on a serving plate. Top with the strawberry-cream mixture, spreading to edge of the cake layer. Place another split cake layer atop. Spread with half of the warm fudge topping, letting it drizzle down the sides. Sprinkle with half of the nuts.
5. Top with another split cake layer. Spread with the pineapple-cream mixture. Top with remaining split cake layer. Spread remaining warm fudge topping atop cake, letting some of it drip down the sides of the cake. Sprinkle top of the cake with the remaining chopped nuts. Serve immediately or cover loosely with plastic wrap, placing a few toothpicks in top of the cake so the wrap doesn't stick to the topping, and chill for up to 2 hours. Before serving, remove, and discard toothpicks, if used, and garnish with banana slices, if desired. Makes 12 servings.
*Note: To make 1/2 cup sour milk, combine 1/2 cup milk with 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar and let stand for 5 minutes before using.
**Note: For 2 cups sweetened whipped cream, in a chilled mixing bowl combine 1 cup whipping cream and 1 tablespoon sugar. Beat with chilled beaters of an electric mixer on low to medium speed just until soft peaks form (tips curl). Do not overbeat.