- This is rich and creamy and everything you would expect from a chef, but now you can make it too! The best part is you can this soup ahead of time for yourself or your guests. After blending the soup, rather than putting it back in the pot to simmer, simply let it cool, cover it and refrigerate! This soup is cream free as well, so you wont feel as guilty about it afterwards!
- 2 butternut squash (about 4 3/4 lbs total), halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, plus some for oiling baking sheet.
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 Tbsp golden brown sugar
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 5 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth
0 (Rated by 0 moms)
|PREP TIME||10 Min||READY IN||40 Min|
|COOK TIME||30 Min||SERVINGS||6|
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
- Oil a baking sheet and place the squash, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake the squash until it is very soft, about 50 minutes. Using a paring knife, remove the peel from the squash and discard the peel. Cut the squash into 2-inch pieces.
- In a large, heavy pot over, heat oil on medium-low heat. Add onion, ginger, brown sugar, garlic, and cinnamon. Cover pot and cook until the onion is tender, about 15 minutes. Add squash and 5 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove cinnamon.
- In batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return the soup to the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer, thinning the soup with more broth if necessary. Ladle into bowls and garnish.