- If you're looking for a sweet snack recipe, try Nancy C's "Challah".
- 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 4 pkg’s yeast
- 6 eggs
- Poppy Seeds (Optional)
- Mix together 2 1/2 cups flour with sugar, salt, and oil. Dissolve yeast in water. When dissolved add to flour mixture.
- Mix in 5 eggs. Beat in 11/2 cups flour very well.
- Add 4-5 cups flour until a very soft dough is formed. Knead.
- Let rise in warm place till double, 1-2 hours.
- Make balls, roll them into ropes, and braid. Let rise, covered, for 1/2-1 hour.
- Make egg wash by beating 1 egg. Brush on challah.
- Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees F. (160 degrees C.) for 30 minutes.
- Apply egg wash once more and bake another 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C.).