- If you're looking for a delicious vegetarian recipe, try Jana H's "Chickpea Stew".
- Recipe Credit: Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone"
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed (or peeled), 1/2 inch dice
- 1/2 pound "baby" carrots or 3 regular carrots, 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3 dried chilies
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (or 2 cups fresh, if you've got them)
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly colored.
- Add potatoes, carrots, garlic, coriander, and chilies, and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring.
- Add tomatoes and chickpeas, 1 tsp salt and fresh ground pepper, and add water to cover. Stir well, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes (or longer, I usually do about 90 min).
- Taste for salt and pepper. Can stir in 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro or parsley if desired, just before serving.
- Serve with fresh crusty bread and green salad.