- CRÈME BRULEE FRENCH TOAST
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. real maple syrup
- 12 1 1/2-inch slices of egg (challah) bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x9” baking dish.
- In a saucepan, melt butter; brown sugar and maple syrup just until it begins to boil and turn brown, like caramel. Pour into the baking dish.
- Trim crusts from the bread and arrange it evenly over the caramel. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, vanilla, orange juice and salt. Pour over bread.
- Let the bread soak up the liquid for 5-10 minutes. Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 minutes. Cut into squares or slices, and serve with strawberries and whipped cream.
- I made 1 1/2 times the recipe and used a 9x13” baking dish.)