- Sometimes when planning dinner, I like to work backwards. Picking dessert first, then thinking about what I'd like to serve for dinner to go with that treat. The thought of romantic dinners make my mind jump straight to chocolate! I love French Silk Pie and it makes a great end to a romantic dinner. I hope you enjoy this gluten free, egg free, nut free version.
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 1/3 Gluten Free Flour blend (including xanthan gum)
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 c Spectrum shortening, well chilled
- 3-6 T ice cold water
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE LAYER:
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 c Gluten Free Flour blend
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 3/4 c 1% milk
- 4 oz milk chocolate chips
- Cool Whip or homemade whipped cream
- Chocolate Shavings
- FOR THE CRUST: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Cut in chilled shortening, mix with pastry blender until resembles coarse crumbs, about pea size.
- Sprinkle in 3T cold water, toss with a fork. Add water one tablespoon at a time until the dough holds together when pressed. Be careful not to over mix the dough or your crust may become tough.
- Shape the dough into a ball, then flatten into a round disc.
- Prepare your work surface by sprinkling a couple drops of water down, then covering with a sheet of wax paper. Sprinkle lightly with flour and lay your disc of dough down. Sprinkle the dough lightly with flour and cover with another sheet of wax paper. Roll out dough until it is roughly 1-2 inches larger than your pie plate.
- Remove top layer of wax paper. Carefully transfer dough into pie plate, with remaining wax paper sheet on top. After crust is in the pie plate, remove the last piece of wax paper. Flute the edges and prick the dough several times with a fork.
- Bake 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool completely on a wire rack before filling.
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE LAYER: In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cocoa, flour and salt. Slowly add the milk. Over medium heat, bring mixture to a boil stirring continuously. Reduce heat and cook 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in chocolate chips and vanilla until chocolate has melted. Allow to cool most of the way and pour into pie crust. Cool completely then top with Cool Whip and chocolate shavings.
- Chill 4 hours before serving.