A couple of weeks ago i went out to Jamie's Italian restaurant in Westfield with some of my fellow bloggers. While there I ate some chicken with olives and tomatoes and it was superb.
Last week I was really keen to try and replicate the dish just by using my "head" and hint the actual ingredients. I could've just look for the recipe but I settled myself a challenge and opted not too. I have to say I was scared but in a way trusted my "cooking skills"and went for it! You can read below what I came out with!
- 2 chicken breast boneless sliced (if you eat the dish in the restaurant the bones are kept on)
- 1 red onion peeled and thinly sliced;
- 2 garlic cloves puréed;
- 1 cartoon of chopped tomatoes 400g from Sainsbury's (I am sure that at the restaurant they use fresh tomatoes);
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar;
- green and black olives pitted as many as you wish;I sliced some and some I put in whole;
- take a shallow frying pan and add a couple of spoons of oil
- Put it on the hob and when hot add the chicken
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on top of the chicken.
- Fry until on each side until you think it's cooked. I usually leave it until it becomes golden.
- Fry about 4-5 minutes on each side. It really depends on how thick is the bottom of the pan. - When you are happy on how well is cooked take it out from the pan and put on a plate
-To the hot pan add the sliced red onion and the garlic.
- Fry them on a slow hob until the onion is soft but not burned.
-When the onion is soft add the rest of the ingredients: chopped tomatoes,balsamic vinegar,stock,olives. If you have basil you can also add that as it will make it more Italian.
- Bring it to boil and then simmer on low for 8-10 minutes. If you are happy with how much sauce was left add the chicken to it. Cover the pan and let it cook for 5-6 more minutes or so. If it needs add more salt and pepper.
The potatoes were peeled and cut just like when you prepare mash and put to boil. Make sure you don't boil them too much as they need to be whole and not squashed. When the potatoes are boiled, get rid of the water and add a knob of butter, chopped parsley and salt and mix together. This should be it. If you want them a bit chilli you can add some pepper or chilli powder.
This kind of potatoes was not served at the restaurant. This is actually a Romanian recipe more than Italian.
You can chose to eat the chicken with anything you want really. At the restaurant they serve it with double fried chips but I think a good rice could be good as well.