- Great meal that your boys will love
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound mild or hot Italian pork sausage, casing removed
- 1 cup baby Bella or white mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 cup cooked vermicelli noodles, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 cup pasta sauce from a jar or leftover spaghetti sauce, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon ground oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon ground basil
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 12 slices Italian or sourdough bread, cut on the diagonal
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- Spray gas grill with cooking spray. Start grill to heat up burners to Medium heat.
- Combine beef, sausage, mushrooms and noodles in large mixing bowl. Add shredded cheese, ½ cup sauce, 2 cloves garlic and spices. Mix well and form into 6 oval-shaped patties.
- Grill patties for 5 or 6 minutes per side. Place slices mozzarella on patties prior to removing from grill.
- While burgers are on grill, mix the butter and remaining garlic in a small bowl. Spread the garlic butter on both sides of each bread slice and grill until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Warm remaining pasta sauce. Place cheese-topped patties on 6 bread slices. Smooth warm pasta sauce over each patty and place remaining bread slices on top.