My blog "With A Spin" makes a connection between Desi elegance with western chic by sharing, inspiring and empowering others to tackle and celebrate everyday life through food, creativity and love.
Cooking kachchi biryani is a labor of love and each time it is perfectly paid off when family and friends gather around the table to bond, enjoy and laugh together while savoring delicious, mouthwatering Biryani. It is a perfect celebration food for small family get-together as well as large gatherings.
2 lb mutton
1 teaspoon ginger paste
2 teaspoon garlic paste
3-4 dry red chili
2-3 stick of cinnamon, half inches each
4-5 green cardamom
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon cloves
½ teaspoon mace
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
6-8 allspice (optional)
½ teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
3 tablespoon yogurt
¾ cup ghee or butter
5 medium potato
pinch of orange food color (optional)
½ cup onion, thinly sliced
4 cups basmati or kalijeera rice
3 cups water
½ cup condensed milk
2 tablespoon milk
pinch of saffron
10-12 alubokhara (pitted prunes)
4 eggs, hard boiled
Salt, according to taste
STEPS TO PREPARE THE MEAT:
1. Sprinkle some salt on the meat and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Wash the meat and drain all water.
2. Take all the spice from red chili to caraway seed and grind.
3. Add salt and yogurt.
4. Take the pot where biryani will be cooked. Add the meat and yogurt marinade.
5. Marinate for anywhere between 30 minutes to overnight(see notes).
STEPS TO PREPARE THE ONION:
1. Add about 3 tablespoon of butter/ghee on a frying pan on medium heat.
2. Add very thinly sliced onion and sautee until fragrant and golden brown.
STEPS TO PREPARE THE POTATO:
1. Wash, peel and cut the potato in big chinks. Usually into 3 pieces for a medium Idaho potato.
2. If using, rub some orange food color to the potato.
3. Fry the potatoes until slightly golden on the same pan used for the onion.
STEPS TO PREPARE THE RICE:
1. Wash rice and drain all water.
2. Boil 3 cups of water. Add salt.
3. Add the rice.
4. Turn off the stove at the first sight of water boiling again (bubble forming on the water) after adding the rice. Rice will be uncooked at this point.
5. Drain the rice completely saving the drained hot water in a pot.
STEPS TO ASSEMBLE THE BIRYANI LAYERS AND COOK:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Add the saffron to the milk.
3. Add butter/ghee to 1 cup of hot water that was set aside in the rice preparing step.
4. Add the prepared potatoes on top of the marinated meat.
5. Sprinkle some fried onion.
6. Add the alubokhara(prunes), if using.
7. Add half the water-butter mixture.
8. Layer in the prepared rice.
9. Make 4-5 indentations from the rice layer through the potato till the meat.
10. Add the condensed milk through the indentations.
11. Sprinkle the remaining water-butter mixture.
12. Sprinkle the remaining fried onion.
13. Add the remaining hot water in a way that water doesn’t go above the rice layer. You may not need to use all of the hot water.
14. Cook in the oven for 1.5 hours.