- This dish is a new favorite of ours! Light and fresh - its an absolute winner at our house! I love meals that can be adapted for the kids and this is a great one as they can easily pick at the individual ingredients that they like. (Hunter picked out and ate all the bacon in his entire dish before we convinced him he needed to try the rest!) I think it may have originally come from Notebook Magazine. (It was a very old clipping I kept from a few years ago so I'm glad it survived all the moves). Ingredient amounts can be varied to suit your liking. This recipe is featured over at www.theactivemum.com.
- Penne/Spiral Pasta to serve 4
- Broccoli - cut into small florets
- 1 lemon - rind
- 2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 6 Bacon rashes - cut into small squares
- 2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli - seeded and finely sliced
- 1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts
- 500g Chicken Tenderloins or Thigh Fillets
- Shaved Parmesan to serve
- 1. Cook Pasta, add broccoli for last 1 minute of cooking
- 2. While pasta is cooking peel rind from lemon, remove and discard white pith from rind (with a very sharp knife), then slice rind thinly and set aside.
- 3. In a frypan cook the chicken. Add bacon. Then add chilli and garlic for last minute or so of cooking.
- 4. Drain pasta and broccoli and place in a large serving bowl.
- 5. Add frypan contents, pine nuts, lemon rind and lemon juice to pasta. Toss to combine
- 6. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with shaved parmesan.