- I wanted to make a nice side dish and I didn't want the plain old potato salad or macaroni salad so I came up with a different type of pasta salad than I normally make. I also wanted to use up some of the summer squash and peppers that I had so I decided to grill the vegetables and put them in the pasta salad.
- 1 (12 oz) box of Barilla Veggie Bow Tie Pasta or any other pasta of your choice (cook according to package directions)
- 1-2 red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium green summer squash (zucchini)
- 1 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 (15 oz) can artichoke hearts (not marinated), roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp. capers, drained and rinsed, roughly chopped
- 1 cup black olives, roughly chopped
- 5-6 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary chopped, plus a couple stalks for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, to a large glass measuring cup or bowl add 2 tbsp. of the olive oil, lemon juice, the herbs, capers, artichoke hearts, salt and pepper and mix well. Set aside. When the pasta is done drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Add the pasta to a large bowl and add in the dressing and the black olives. Mix well to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and put into the refrigerator.
- In another large glass bowl add all of the fresh vegetables and the remaining oil and mix well. Grill over medium heat mixing occasionally until the veggies are soft and browned, but not burnt. Remove from grill and cool completely. (This step can be done well in advance, if you want). Once cooled, mix with pasta and garnish with sprigs of fresh rosemary, if desired. Serve!