- This is one of daughter's favorite ice creams. I make this for her every summer when I can get my hands on some fresh mint. With crunchy bits of chocolate and a burst of real fresh mint taste, this ice cream is so good!!
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup packed fresh chocolate mint leaves(or other variety)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3-4 drop green food coloring, optional
- 2-3 drops blue food coloring, optional
- 1 cup chocolate chips, chopped
- Combine the milk and 1 cup of cream together with the mint leaves in a small saucepan. Cook for about 5 min. over medium heat until it just starts to simmer. Remove from heat and let it steep for 20 min. Strain to remove the mint leaves.
- Meanwhile, whip the egg yolks, sugar, salt and the 1/2 cup heavy cream together until smooth. Slowly add a 1/2 cup of the warm milk and then add all the egg mixture to the milk mixture. Return to the heat and cook over medium heat stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Simmer the custard but do not let is boil. Continue cooking until the custard coats the back of a wooden spoon and leaves a clear trail when your finger is drawn on the back of the spoon, 4-6 min. Add the food coloring if using.
- Now cool the custard by placing the saucepan into a larger bowl filled with ice and water. Stir until cooled. Cover with plastic wrap that is right on top of the custard so it won’t form a skin. Cool completely in the refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight.
- Pour the custard into the ice cream maker and follow manufacturers instructions. When nearly frozen, like thick whipped cream add the chopped chocolate while the machine is churning. Transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for 3 hours or a few days until serving. So good!!