- These pretzel rolls are delicious to eat as an appetizer, or great to use as a sandwich. Any way you eat them they are a family pleaser.
- 1 1/3 c warm water
- 2 tbsp warm milk
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/3 c light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 4 c flour
- Pretzel salt, kosher salt, or sea salt. (I used sea salt.)
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1/2 c baking soda
- You will want to use a bread machine or stand mixer with a dough hook for this recipe.
- Heat 1/3 c. water to 110°, add yeast and let stand until foamy.
- Add remaining 1 c. warm water, milk, sugar and melted butter. Mix slightly to dissolve the sugar. Add flour and mix on medium-low speed.
- Remove dough from mixer, or bread machine, once it forms a nice firm dough ball as shown above.
- Knead dough for two minutes, roll into a 12″ log and cut into 12 equal balls.
- Cover dough and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Pat dough into rolls and set on a lightly floured surface (don’t skip the flouring part even if you have a nonstick pan), cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a saucepan bring 2 quarts of water to a rolling boil and add baking soda.
- Drop two rolls into boiling water, turning once, for 30 seconds. Remove from water and let drain.
- Set rolls an inch apart. To get that x mark, use a sharp knife and barely break the surface of the roll in an x shape.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.