- On a hot summer day, this salad is a salty and sweet refreshing dish. It's perfect for enjoying immediately or bringing on an outing. There are actually two recipes here: the watermelon salad and the lime dressing I love to drizzle over it. The lime dressing is perfect for salads and as a marinade for tofu, fish and chicken, too.
- • Juice and zest of 5 limes
- • ¾ tablespoon olive oil
- • 1 small clove garlic, minced
- • Salt, pepper, to taste
- • 3¼ pounds seedless watermelon, chopped into ½-inch cubes
- • 4½ ounces ricotta salata cheese, chopped into ½-inch cubes
- • Fresh mint, to taste, finely chopped
- Prepare the dressing by putting salt, garlic and pepper into a small bowl and mashing with the back of a spoon. You can also do this with a mortar and pestle.
- Pour lime juice into the bowl and whisk.
- While whisking, add in olive oil in a steady stream.
- Add lime zest, whisk again and taste.
- Adjust seasoning levels as desired and set dressing aside. You can let it sit in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Whisk again just before using.
- Prepare the salad by placing the watermelon, cheese and mint into a large bowl.
- Drizzle dressing over the top, mix and serve.