im homeless and cant get help what can i do?

Carolyn - posted on 01/20/2010 ( 12 moms have responded )




i been trying to find a job but still aint find one. i fight with my stepmom cause she dont want kids living with her and my dad. i try to find places to go but all i got is my friends house. i need help and dont know what to do.. i dont have nobody to help me..

This conversation has been closed to further comments


View replies by

Lwanda Marie - posted on 08/22/2012




im homeless with three daughter ,sleepin in our car .we trully have no place to go in decatur ga .im from ohio been strugglin since i been family support or spouse support.jus wanna keep my girls safe. where is the heart of mankind.7069790066 trully we need some support.its been too long one cares anymore lets change this dilema ......stand up world.people are and children are dying

Amnie - posted on 01/24/2010




I really feel for you... which country are you in? Australia has alot of help, it's sad when your family can't be relied on to help you or they make you feel guilty for needing there help. Things happen in life, sometimes through our actions and sometimes through no fault of our own so I am really hoping that things get better for you andyoru kids soon. And I hope your family can support you for a little bit while you get back on your feet. Good luck sweetie, and everything will work out. Just keep your head up and sometimes you have to just demand that your stepmom help, it's family. Just say you need like a little while - good luck.

Tami - posted on 01/22/2010




If you have any type of disability, I mean just about anything from mental to physical to anything a doctor can certify (depression, etc), vocational rehabilitation, either govt supported or otherwise, can help you get a job and might even help you with the shelter thing, at least temporarily. If you need training of some sort for the job you want to get into, they can help you pay for that after financial qualification.

[deleted account]

i dealt with this while I was 8 months pregnant. Depending on where you are department of human services/family independance agency can help. They can at least get you some info...
I was told (the county that I'm in here in Michigan) that because I had a couch to sleep on or someone's house to sleep at I was technically not homeless because I had a "save place to sleep" be prepared. My husband and myself (like I said I was 8 months pregnant) were evicted because neither one of us could find a job and couldn't get rent TRY! but be prepared to not be able to get instant results!
Hope things start looking up for you!

Alicia - posted on 01/21/2010




im am really sorry you are put in that position... but try not to go an get so stressed about it... i know it is hard not to be.. but it could cause a miscarriage

Myra - posted on 01/21/2010




There are several agencies you can get in contact with. Call your local department of family and children's services, the United Way (call 211 or find a local branch near you), or your local hospital first. Any of those, no matter where you are at should be able to set you up with some resources for food, shelter, and clothing. They may be able to help with other things like utilities and searching for work or job training, too. You can also check with local churches and local organizations. Many areas have free housing available for up to 2 years for women and their children. If you are in the Cobb County Georgia area, I have a resource list the hospital gave me, and I'd be more than happy to pass it on. If you are in another area, definitely ask for a "new mom" resource list from the local hospital...especially if you'd like to go about getting help without getting on government assistance. Most of the resources listed that was in the folder I was given had nothing to do with the government.

Kylie - posted on 01/21/2010




If you are in Australia talk to centrelink about getting emergency accomodation for you and the kids. They will also help you to find a job, and in the mean time can help you with you day to day costs, ask them about centrepay for your bills.

Angela - posted on 01/21/2010




pray! God will help you. Depends on where you live you can get assistance. I agree with Tyiesha go to a shelter. It does not have to be for long. Let them help you get on your feet. I will pray for you and I wish you lots of luck!

Sarah - posted on 01/21/2010




go to your local community service office. you will get all of the free information from DSHS dept. local shelter, food assisstance, wic, medical for you and your child and free access to computers to look for work. or call and make an apt. # is in the phone book. good luck to you.

Kristen - posted on 01/20/2010




what about income based housing. i don't know where you live, but usually they'd have info on it at your local health department or Department of Human Services building. Good luck.

Tyiesha - posted on 01/20/2010




i know it's not easy but have you thought of going to a shelter and letting them help you get into a job and an apartment? i know no mother ever wants to go to a shelter but it can be helpful.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms