Ashley - posted on 04/02/2009 ( 6 moms have responded )
I'm reading a book. Most of it isn't very good. But, it did reference a little gem from the October 1991 edition of the "Active Voice"; a newsletter of the San Francisco chapter of the Society for Technical Communication (for those of you who care about the reference).
Anyway, I was reading over this gem and thought immediately of my communications with BM. In fact, this list is pretty versatile for just about any relationship. So, I thought I'd post it... see if you all find it valuable and what you all think. Here goes:
Ten Proven Ways to Get Along with People
1. Refuse to talk negatively about others; do not gossip and do not listen to gossip.
2. Have a forgiving view of people. Believe that most people are doing the very best that they can.
3. If someone criticizes you, see if there is any truth to what s/he is saying. If so, make changes. If there is no truth to the criticism, ignore it and live so that no one will believe the negative remark.
4. Before you say anything to anyone, ask yourself three things: Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?
5. Make promises sparingly and keep them faithfully.
6. Never miss an opportunity to compliment or to say something encouraging to someone.
7. Forget about counting to ten. Count to one thousand before doing or saying anything that could make matters worse.
8. Let your virtues speak for themselves.
9. Keep an open mind; discuss, but do not argue. (It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable.)
10. Cultivate your sense of humor; laugther is the shortest distance between two people.