[deleted account] ( 6 moms have responded )
Pad Thai - ผัดไทย
This most popular Thai dish is excellent served hot or cold. Makes enough for six people.
8 large garlic cloves - peeled and minced
3 large eggs - lightly beaten
1 large limes - cut into 6 wedges
1/3 c. roasted peanuts - chopped
1 bunch scallions - thinly sliced crosswise
1/3 c. golden brown sugars
1/3 c. peanut oil
1 lb. large shrimp - peeled and deveined
1/4 c. white vinegar
1/2 bunch freshly chopped cilantro leaves
3/4 lb. porks tenderloin - cut into 1-inch-long thin strips
2 c. bean sprouts
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 c. fish sauce
1 1/2 lbs. flat rice noodles
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and then remove from the heat. Add the noodles to the pot and let soak for 12 to 15 minutes until the noodles are soft.
2. Thoroughly mix together the vinegar, sugar, fish sauce and ketchup. Drain the noodles.
3. Place a large wok over medium-high heat. When the wok is hot, add the oil and heat for 15 seconds.
4. Add the garlic and stir constantly for a few seconds. Add the shrimp and pork and stir-fry for one minute.
5. Stir in the sauce and bring to a boil. Place the noodles in the wok and toss to coat well.
6. Cook until most of the sauce has been absorbed by the noodles. Make a hole in the center of the wok, add the eggs and let cook, without stirring, for 15 seconds.
7. After 15 seconds, stir-fry until the eggs are cooked and well distributed throughout the noodles. Add the red pepper flakes and scallions and stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
8. Remove the wok from the heat and stir in the peanuts and bean sprouts. Serve garnished with cilantro and lime wedges.
Flat rice noodles are commonly found in Chinese or Asian markets, or in the Asian sections of some supermarkets.
If you want a vegetarian pad thai, leave out the meat and add some cubes of tofu instead. You can fry the tofu until golden beforehand if you like. You might also add a few broccoli florets. (The fish sauce is still non-vegetarian; some vegetarians don\'t mind this, others do. You can substitute soy sauce, but it won\'t have the exact same flavor.)