does anyone know what the best sanitizer disinfectant for toys, highchairs, stuffed animals...etc????

MOST HELPFUL POSTS

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

14 Comments

View replies by

Dawn - posted on 10/05/2011

1

0

0

I know I'm a little late, but I was looking to see what others use. Vinegar is not a disinfectant. It kills germs, but it does not disinfect. I use the Clorox Anywhere hard surfaces.

Amy - posted on 05/09/2009

71

4

4

Per the Department of Health in my state: 10% bleach, let it sit at least 10-30 seconds, then at least a couple complete rinses to remove the bleach. For the "tabletop" formula, use 4 drops of bleach to 32 oz water to make a 50 parts per million solution. This is what they use at the state authorized day care centers.

I figure they did the research into what is safe, I might as well use the information. I have seen the research they put into setting similar standards, so I know it is extensive and exhaustive.

[deleted account]

Quoting Barbara:

clorox, ammonia, bleach- they all leave residue. And you have no idea what it can do to those little brains- think about the increase in learning disabilites- ADD/ADHD- it didn;t happen on its own! Do yourself a favor GO GREEN- it is so worth it. Go with a compnay that has always been green. I use Shaklee- they are great and so economical perfect for anyone that needs to save some money on those grocery bills.
http://www.shaklee.net/wellnesscreators/...



I've been to the Shaklee website several times but I can't find a list of ingredients for the products anywhere.  Can you please tell me where to go on the website to find this information?  Thanks.

Barbara - posted on 05/09/2009

109

12

26

clorox, ammonia, bleach- they all leave residue. And you have no idea what it can do to those little brains- think about the increase in learning disabilites- ADD/ADHD- it didn;t happen on its own! Do yourself a favor GO GREEN- it is so worth it. Go with a compnay that has always been green. I use Shaklee- they are great and so economical perfect for anyone that needs to save some money on those grocery bills.

http://www.shaklee.net/wellnesscreators/...

[deleted account]

Quoting Emily:

Vinegar is a great disinfectant too believe it or not.


I agree with the vinegar.  I use it on just about everything and it's totally harmless.  Even the Clorox Anywhere has chemicals I wouldn't want my son to ingest...just food for thought.  Vinegar is cheaper and disinfects as well.  Plus it's a multi-tasker...you can even do windows with it and it works great on grout too.  I definitely wouldn't use Clorox.  That stuff is so hard to rinse off and I just would be worried that it would leave a residue that could be harmful.  I use the Clorox wipes on my counters, but never on anything that the baby touches.

Mandi - posted on 05/08/2009

54

13

5

I believe that if you are using the CLOROX ANYWHERE spray, then it is safe, it say's right on it, toys around food, children...... I spray the toys and let them dry then i think its fine. If you wanted to you could do that, then rinse & dry.

Geralyn - posted on 05/07/2009

1,616

35

240

This may be a dumb question, but after I follow the instructions for clorox or the lysol spray and I let the item/toy air dry, is it then safe for a little one to touch and put his mouth on? Ir is there residue from the bleach or spray? There are lots of chemicals in the cleaning products, and I worry that he will be absorbing toxins through touch or orally.

Jen - posted on 05/05/2009

1,794

12

290

I wipe all my daughter's hard toys down with a clorox wipe and all the soft toys go in a pillow case and tossed in with her clothes.

Lindsay - posted on 05/05/2009

3,532

26

266

Quoting Jennifer:

Daycare centers use bleach to sanitize things. It is the most cost effective solution. Mix 3/4 cup clorox bleach with one gallon water. Use the solution to wipe down your highchair. Let it stand for 5 minutes then rinse it and let it air dry. You can use the same solution to disinfect toys. Soak the toys in the solution for 5 minutes and then drain them dry. Mix one tablespoon of bleach with one gallon of water to disinfect items such as bottles, cups, teething rings, and plastic eating utensils. Clean these items first and then soak them for 2 minutes. Let them air dry. To clean stuffed animals I wash them in the washing machine if possible. Otherwise, spray them with Lysol disinfectant spray and let them air dry well. You can also put them in a tightly sealed plastic bag if you need to kill lice or dust mites. Running them in the dryer for a few minutes also helps get some of the dust off.



It's like you took the words right out of my mouth! I totally agree and wouldn't do it any differently myself!

[deleted account]

Daycare centers use bleach to sanitize things. It is the most cost effective solution. Mix 3/4 cup clorox bleach with one gallon water. Use the solution to wipe down your highchair. Let it stand for 5 minutes then rinse it and let it air dry. You can use the same solution to disinfect toys. Soak the toys in the solution for 5 minutes and then drain them dry. Mix one tablespoon of bleach with one gallon of water to disinfect items such as bottles, cups, teething rings, and plastic eating utensils. Clean these items first and then soak them for 2 minutes. Let them air dry. To clean stuffed animals I wash them in the washing machine if possible. Otherwise, spray them with Lysol disinfectant spray and let them air dry well. You can also put them in a tightly sealed plastic bag if you need to kill lice or dust mites. Running them in the dryer for a few minutes also helps get some of the dust off.

Crystal - posted on 05/05/2009

6

20

1

clorox anywhere sanitizer work great you and use it everywhere and its harmless for your kids

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms