Rashmi - posted on 12/16/2010 ( 8 moms have responded )
I have a 20 month old. He's been going to day care part time (2 - 3 days) for about 10 months and in the last month started full time.
From the very beginning he had problem at drop off. The moment we enter the day care campus (it’s one of the best day cares in the MA area) he becomes grumpy and than when we enter he starts crying loudly. A few mins after we leave (5 min) his provides say he calms down and really becomes interactive and happy with the providers and his friends.
When I go to pick him up at time he does not want to stay longer - very strange and annoying.
My husband and I along with his provides have tried a few things and still trying but it’s becoming tiresome and annoying and sad (oooh a whole lot of emotions).
- We’ve switched the parent who drops off so parents in no way influence the emotional state of the child.
- We’ve speak to him about school and what fun it is. He is very fond of his teachers and friends and is happy to talk about them. We’ve made up stories about school days and how his cousins and puppets love going to school.
- We’ve stopped speaking to him about school and walked in.
- Each parent tried taking longer time at drop off so we spent time there.
- Teachers tried carrying him and taking his around so he gets distracted.
- His school friends come around to give him a warm welcome.
- We tried quick good byes and the other side we've stuck around until he adjusts.
- We have tried everything I know of and advised by websites, other parents, teacher but in vain!
Well advise more than welcome and what I want to know is how many of you have experienced this and when will it stop.