Has anyone

Misty - posted on 07/10/2010 ( 13 moms have responded )

17

26

1

My 2 1/2 year old son swallowed a penny last night & we spent almost 5 hours in the E.R. They did an xray & the penny wasn't stuck & was already in his stomach. They said if he doesn't pass it by tomorrow afternoon to bring him back. He pooped earlier but no penny. Help!?

MOST HELPFUL POSTS

[deleted account]

My daughter choked on a penny last yr she was 3 then never put anything in her mouth. I cat remeber what it was they had us give our dughter when a jsut about a week passed and she hadnt pooped it out its orange and nasty tasting . if you ask the pharmacist they shold be able to tell you the day before she was suppose to go in for a third xray she passed it.

Just keep poop watch is all i can tell you and ask either your dr or pharmacist what will be safe to give him to help pass it. sorry icant remember what it was called

Monica - posted on 07/10/2010

514

28

149

http://life.familyeducation.com/toddler/...

that's the most elaborate explanation i could find in that link, but i just looked it up and read about 4 diff sites that all say in most cases, they pass it on their own... the worst that can happen is tummy pains then u should take him back asap or they'll have to take it out at the hospital... but it really won't be that bad even if that's the case!! I'm sure he'll pass it though!!

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

13 Comments

View replies by

Deborah - posted on 07/13/2010

146

39

15

Good idea taking him to the doctor, sometimes these little things turn into big things. Any foreign object stuck in the human body can cause trouble. I have heard of intestinal blockages and things but those are rare with pennies. But better safe than sorry. Good luck and try to stay calm, if you stress out he will stress out.

Misty - posted on 07/12/2010

17

26

1

Thanks for the input everyone! We decided to wait it out today (still no penny) & we are taking him to the doctor tomorrow morning if he doesn't pass it! I'm so worried =( & I saw that show- I remember about the coat hanger & the batteries, I don't remember much else!

Carisa - posted on 07/12/2010

399

2

38

This happens so often there is a show on Discovery Health called "You Kid Swallowed What?" I'm surprised they wanted you to bring him back so quickly, I've heard of these things taking a couple of days. I wouldn't worry because a penny doesn't have any sharp edges...I'm sure it will pass on its own.

Ashley - posted on 07/11/2010

3

14

0

lol wow im sure Liam will be swallowing a penny or two, everything goes in his mouth ...lol

Monica - posted on 07/10/2010

514

28

149

yeah i wud be too i get it, hopefully someone on here has gone through this and give u some real-er hope LOL ... i'm sending you my wishes though!!

Misty - posted on 07/10/2010

17

26

1

I've been giving him everything he wanted to eat today (I'm usually pretty strict on that) in the hopes that he would get full & go ahead & poop it out. I've tried grapes, grape juice, tacos (things that usually make him go alot) & still no penny. I'm just scared it won't come out & they'll have to keep him at the hospital to get it out! The longer I wait, the more worried I get!!

Monica - posted on 07/10/2010

514

28

149

omg well i haven't been through this, but i know that my parents had that happen to my bro and my sis and the pennies came out. they actually still mite have them, which is super weird!! I'm sure he'll be fine!! sorry, that's all i got . But really, i've heard of this happening before to others and i've never heard a horror story, only that it comes out the other end!! :P

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms