Need help understanding peanut allergies

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

5 Comments

View replies by

Dianne - posted on 08/09/2009

7

5

0

My daughter is ten and she has a very bad reaction to peanuts. She`s had it since she was a baby. I`ve told her all about the allergy so she`s very careful about the things she eats. The day my son was born, was huge drama. I went into theatre for the C section. My husband was with me and one of the nurses said that she would be with my daughter. So the nurse bought her an ice cream and the first thing that my daughter asked was, " are there peanuts in here?" The nurse didn`t know that the peanuts were in the centre. So my daughter took a first bite and then she tasted the peanuts.
I had the baby and was just being returned to my ward when I see everyone panicking. A nurse was rushing in the room next to me with oxygen. I panicked cos I thought that something happened to the baby that I just delivered. Then I see my husband going with the nurse into the room. I thought the worst. A few minutes later, I see my daughter walking out the room, eyes all swollen and she says, " Mum, I saw the baby and he`s so cute." So, ya... peanuts can be hidden.

Beth - posted on 08/08/2009

1

17

0

MY 20 MONTH OLD IS ALLERGIC TO PEANUTS AND EGGS HE HAD HIS FIRST REACTION WHEN HE WAS 5 MONTHS OLD THERE WAS A BABY FOOD THAT HAD EGG YOLKS IN IT AND I DIDNT KNOW IT.. WE TOO HAVE TO CARRY AN EPI PEN AND BENADRYL EVERY WHERE WE GO HE IS ALSO ALLERGIC TO CATS AND DOGS SO WE HAVE OT COMING AT US FROM ALL ENDS.. I WILL PRAYFOR ALL OF YOU TO HELP YOU GET THROUGH THIS.. MY ALLERGIST SAYS HE WILL PROBABLY OUT GROW HIS ALLERGY.. BOY I HOPE SO

Amanda - posted on 08/03/2009

1

0

0

My 2 year old has a severe peanut allergy, we carry epi-pens and benadryl every where we go and watch everything he eats. He had his first reaction when he was only 13 months old being the third child we didn't think giving it to him would be a big deal, no one else in the family has the allergy, boy were we wrong, his eyes, face and lips swelled instantly and off to the emergency room we went. Now more than 1 year later we have adapted our lifestyle and adjusted just fine. When he becomes school age I'm sure this will be a whole different story!

[deleted account]

It is advised that you do not feed your child peanut butter or anything else with nuts until after they are 2 years old. The reason is because of peanut allergies and the potential severity of them. Some peanut allergies are so severe that it can cause difficulty breathing and loss of consciousness. These are severe symptoms of anaphylactic shock and this type of allergy requires an epi-pen to combat allergic reactions. Some children break out in hives and swell if they get peanut oils on their skin or if someone breathes peanut butter breath on them. The severity of the allergies vary with children. Many schools and day care centers are peanut free or have peanut free tables in the cafeteria for those children with allergies. To prevent allergic reactions you also have to be very careful with cross contamination and keep food prep areas clean and wash your hands after handling peanut butter or nuts.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms