Tubes in Ears how do i get him to bath?? desparate

Nichole - posted on 03/19/2011 ( 10 moms have responded )

31

39

2

My 3 1/2 year old just got tubes put in his ears and i just don't know how to get him to bath because he has to wear ear plugs and he hates them... Help Please i don't know what to do...

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

10 Comments

View replies by

Amanda - posted on 03/29/2011

20

9

1

instead of the ear plugs, do you think you could try cotton balls?? When my kiddo was 2 she had tubes put in her ears and she REFUSED to wear the ear plugs, so we put little chunks of cotton balls in her ears.. make sure you put a little vaseline on them.. if he won't wear those, you just have to watch like a hawk when he takes a bath, make sure he doesn't submerge his head. Try washing his hair using a large cup and cover his ears as your rinse.. some water getting in is not a problem. Hope this helps!

Kierstin - posted on 03/28/2011

8

24

1

My twins got tubes at 7 months. Their ENT said not to worry about ear plugs or anything. He said we did not have to do anything special.
My cousin got tubes when he was a baby as well and my aunt got one of those foam visors and he wore that when they were rinsing his hair. It kept the water out of his ears.

Janet - posted on 03/25/2011

89

2

4

don't worry about the earplugs - it's not like he is going to go underwater purposely - my son was 18mths old when he had his done and we would wash his hair with a container and him sitting up - yeah there are lots of wails and tantrums but it worked - also if u child is in daycare or kinder - wash his hair every 3 wks or so because of the nits

Lydiam - posted on 03/24/2011

4

4

0

My 2 year old baby girl got tubes put in this past December... the doctor told us to just get a little piece of cotton ball, put baby oil in it, squeeze the excess oil out, and use that every time she takes a bath. The oil in the cotton ball prevents water from passing through. It works great for us now because we have finally figured out the right size of cotton for her to be comfortable but safe.



Lydiam

www.bittenbymotherhood.com

Karen - posted on 03/24/2011

12

11

0

My son had them since 9 months and I bathed him as normal (nothing in his ears). Our doctor said its fine and I normally wash his hair with a jug or facecloth, and he even swam at lessons and at home and he was fine. Obviously lots of water is bad but normal hair washing etc is ok as our dr said.

Lara - posted on 03/24/2011

1

0

0

Hey, my daughter gas them too. The most affective thing is to get a little cotton wool with vasaline covering it then apply into the ears. The vasaline makes it water proof. Good luck x

Connie - posted on 03/22/2011

1

3

0

My daughter recently had her second set of tubes put in and we have never used ear plugs for hair washing or swimming. Our ENT said only about 20% of kids actually having problems with water in the ears after tubes and the other 80% are fine. The only thing our doctor warned about was not using bath water to rinse her hair (due to the soap scum in the water). We are to use fresh water from the faucet for rinsing her hair. You might do some more research or double check with your ENT on your child actually having to wear the ear plugs.

Jaime - posted on 03/21/2011

59

19

3

yes that is exactly what i was told to theresa..it was hard for me as well because my daughter thinks shes a fish lol and wants to go underwater all the time..shes gotten better though now she just lays in there like shes had a hard day :)

Theresa - posted on 03/21/2011

1,310

22

231

My son had tubes twice and I never put the ear plugs in for bathtime. As long as they don't lay down in the water I was told it would be fine. His doc told me he really only had to wear them for swimming when his ears might be submeged in the water.

Jaime - posted on 03/20/2011

59

19

3

hi nichole my daughter is 2 years old and has tubes in her ears..when im washing her hair i usually just use a wash cloth so water doesnt get into her ears. But the doctor said a little bit of water isnt bad, i also put cotton balls in her ears with a little bit of vasoline so the water just runs down. These are just things that our doctor told us to do, she was around 13 or 14 months when she got it and since then we havent had an ear infection. hope this helps. oh and if he gets water in them just make sure you use the baby qtips to clean it right after his bath.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms