Confirmation email resent to

23 Weeks with Twins; Low Amniotic Fluid

Crista - posted on 11/12/2009 ( 7 moms have responded )




I am 23 weeks with twin boys. When I went in for my ultrasound at 20 weeks they found Twin A had plenty of fluid and was doing well. Twin B doesn't even have enough fluid to do an amniocentisis. We can not get a clear picture of his organs to fin out what is going on. They said there could be something wrong with his kidneys or the placenta. I was told that there is a high chance of miscarrage with twin B due to fluid levels and if he did make it to term, there would be possibilities of physical deformations or major health issues. Does anyone have any experience with this. I am not sure what to so. The doctors are saying there is a possibility he will not make it and that I might want to terminate that pregnancy. I feel as though I am having to make a blind decision.


Crista - posted on 11/08/2012




@Rylie - Everything turned out perfect! It was very rough though. I had an amniocentesis with Twin A and a CVS (Chorionic villus sampling) with Twin B due to lack of fluids. Both turned out negative for any genetic issues. As we continued with the pregnancy we were told he may have a clubbed foot and a hole in his heart. There might also be some brain deformities due to underdevelopment so far. We were reffered to a specialist and I was put on strict bed rest and in the Doctor's office twice a week for montioring and ultrasounds. Was admitted at 26 weeks for close monitoring for 3 weeks. Released from the hospital and continued with twice week visits and at 34 weeks I started having contractions. The boys were delivered c-section. Twin A (Caleb) weighed 5 pounds even and Twin B (Christian) weighed 4.12. Neither needed any assistance breathing however they were immediately taken to NICU. They stayed for 3 very long, exhausting weeks. They had jaundice for about a week and on feeding tubes for 2 weeks till they learned how to "suck and swallow". I pumped like crazy and would take the breast milk in 3-4 times a day when we would visit. No physical deformities like we were told he would have. The nurses in the NICU helped so much to comfort and explain everything. I am so thankful we continued on. I now have 2 amazingly intelligent, wild, and ever so coordinated toddlers. They even know their ABC's :). I believe it was a lot of prayer, positive energy, and faith that they would be just the way they are supposed to be. Good luck to you and your precious little babies. Everything will turn out exactly the way it should :)


View replies by

Rylie - posted on 11/02/2012




I'm just wondering how it turned out. I'm going through similar problems with my twin pregnancy.

April - posted on 12/12/2009




I agree with Crystal... go see another doctor. I had an OBGYN and a Twin specialist. He was FAB!!!! I will keep you in my prayers! Drinks lots of water relax and stay off your feet!

Cynthia - posted on 12/12/2009




Please don't give up!!! I too was leaking amniotic fluid around that time, have faith, gets lots of rest, and try stay in bed if at all possible.. I know this is a hard time, but Try for your babies!! Please keep us in touch!! You are in my prayers!!!

Brenda - posted on 12/10/2009




i also agree with Crystal. my twin boys were diagnosed at 20 weeks with TTTS & the "donor" twin A was also diagnosed with heart disease. They are now doing fine, so there is HOPE!!!! Don't give up, get as much REST as you can!!! i will keep you in my prayers!!!

Chelle - posted on 12/09/2009




Hi I agree with Crystal we where told the same thing at about the same and then sent to a hospital that specializes in baby's and pregnancy issues were we had another scan a few weeks later to find out the only issue we have is that twin A has one feed cord which can result in low birth weight or poor kidney function currently we are facing the kidney issue and waiting to see the doctor next week.

At our scan when told we had problems they said bulging membranes around one to much fluid for one and not enough for the other told of deformity's and i was also told i could terminate one and hopefully save the other if you can see if your doctors can send you to get a specialist to do the ultrasound and confirm mine are also very hard to scan face down laying on top of each other we have not even seen profiles of there faces yet.

I cant guarantee a better out come but until its been looked at further dont be pushed into any decisions its an extremely stressful time and confusing but please what ever you do ...get a second opinion and dont do what i did and do self research on the net you will only stress yourself so much more go back see your doctors and get a second opinion be thinking of you and best of luck.

[deleted account]

get another opinion.....drink lots of fluids........drink boost or ensure protein lots of proteins......if they are identical twins there may be a risk of twin to twin should go to the website for information

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms