36 weeks, have scheduled C-section, in labor, but not dilating... so frustrated!!!!

Kendra - posted on 08/02/2009 ( 13 moms have responded )

36

17

3

Ok, first off, I am in labor. This is my 4th day of my contractions being 3-5 minutes apart, but most are 3 minutes. However, I'm not dilating past 2, so they sent me home. They don't want me to dilate but they do, to ensure I'm truly in labor that I need to go in for the C-section. So I've bypassed the normal protocols of when I should go into labor & delivery, when do I need to go back in? Well, that's a good question and a hard one to answer. Right now, I'm able to breathe thru my contractions, at some point they will probably get worse and I won't even be able to breathe thru them, I'll say I can't do this... they say come in. If I leak fluids, discharge blood, etc... I need to go in. And I need to continue to call my doctor to make sure she wants me to just continue sitting through these contractions at the rate of 3-5 mins apart and find out if she wants me to go in to be checked for dilation each day... only provided my contractions are staying at that rate, I guess.





Let's just say I am BEYOND frustrated and yet, I just go home, sit here in pain/contractions that I feel are quite unnecessary. I'm feeling like I’m bound to go thru the next 18 days of contractions and pains because I don’t dilate to my scheduled C-section day... my C-section is scheduled because I had C-section with my last child and they do not allow VBACs in my area. Unless of course I wanted to drive an hour and half away for one.



Has anyone else had this happen to them? What was your experience? Did you have to go thru the contractions until your scheduled C-section day? Or did you eventually dilate? Water break?

MOST HELPFUL POSTS

Kendra - posted on 08/02/2009

36

17

3

The baby would be at 36 weeks, 2 days exact if I were to have her today. My C-section is scheduled 8 days prior to my actual "due date". So.. let's see... 26 days early if I go by my "due date".

Shirley - posted on 09/08/2013

1

0

0

I had that issue with my second pregnancy. I was trying for VBAC and after 7 days of contractions being 2-3 minutes apart, I opted for the C-Section. It was done the day after my due date even though I wasn't dilated at all. I was 100% effaced for about 3 weeks. I am on my third pregnancy now and just scheduling the C-Section instead of risking that torture again!

Jennifer (Elle) - posted on 08/02/2009

25

22

1

I was in labor for two weeks before I became fully dilated and went into the hospital. My water did not break until the very end (having your water break is not necessarily an indication that you are in labor). I did not have a C-Section. I don't understand the circumstances of your first c-section but you should know that you are (barring any unknown complications) completely and utterly capable of giving birth vaginally. And they cannot make you have a c-section, especially if you show up at the hospital in active labor.

Since you had a c-section the first time around perhaps you didn't go through complete labor. It takes the body a long, long time to ripen and prepare itself for birth. The contractions are your body's way of stretching itself open and ripening your cervix. All kinds of fabulous hormonal interactions are occurring, stimulating the continued lung growth, and brain development of your baby, laying down those final layers of fat, and stimulating the production of your breast milk. I know how frustrating and exhausting these days are for you (I was 3 weeks post-date and I wanted to strangle someone) but they are so essential! Spend lots and lots of time nurturing yourself, have a Doula come over and get a massage or take a nice shower...relax and let your body do what it does best and your baby prepare for it's arrival.

As long as you're able to breathe through the contractions (and being relaxing and calm is a major part of this) and you're not leaking blood or fluid the best thing to do is let your body go through it's motions. You are 36 weeks - not 40 - your baby isn't finished cooking yet! Hang in there!

Best,
Elle Taviv
Pregnancy/Birth Coach, Doula, Relationship Coach

Kendra - posted on 08/02/2009

36

17

3

Oh and I was given Ambien to help me get a lil relief as far as sleep/relaxation. Ugh, don't like the feelings I get from that when I had to wake up to go potty or something, feeling like a drunk. But it did help me sleep.

Tamara - posted on 08/02/2009

1,192

11

104

Carin, its to make sure that the baby has mature lungs. The earlier a baby is born, the less mature the lungs and more problems that can ensue.

Kendra, FYI, you can still have a VBAC. Stay at home as long as you can, don't go in until its time to push. They can NOT force you to have a surgery against your will. http://www.ican-online.org has an amazing amount of information and a great forum of women who will help you achieve your VBAC.

13 Comments

View replies by

Kendra - posted on 08/02/2009

36

17

3

It feels great to hear back from someone, thats for sure Jennifer! At least I don't feel all alone! My family is driving me crazy 'cuz they're constantly calling to ask me how I'm doing. I'm thinking "ok, if I was any worse or better, you'd know!" That's what I wanna say, but don't have the guts to do that. LOL



Nope, never dealt with a doula or anything. I just never checked that stuff out. Prolly just lack of information and stuff. Even with my first child, I didnt do any birthing classes either. Probably a big mistake on my part really, cuz maybe it would have allowed me to go thru my pregnancy with him better. Who knows? I also think its a money issue too. I only draw disability and my husbands been laid off work for a lil over a year now, so its like we try to hold onto as much money as we can right now... cuz never know whats gonna happen and wanna try to be as prepared as we can.



I'm thinking about trying to relax in a tub... that's one of my all time favorite things to do. I just need to make sure my husband is available to help me out of the tub cuz I seriously don't think I could get out without assistance! LOL Maybe it will let me dilate... ;-) Well maybe I should wait til I'm closer to 37 weeks... haha

Jennifer (Elle) - posted on 08/02/2009

25

22

1

Oh dear...you need a hug and a massage! I'm so sorry that you had such a miserable time with your first child. Have you ever worked with a Doula? I can find one in your area who can help you cope with your contractions and manage the sensations.
While this sounds infuriating and frustrating your body is doing what it needs too...the more tense you are the worse it will be. Please...do your best to relax, take showers, sing, walk slowly around your home - have someone else watch your son for a few days if possible...enjoy lots of yummy soups and ices. Do whatever you can to make yourself comfortable and pampered. The more relaxed you are the more you will open and dilate. Also - you don't have to go to the hospital right away when your water breaks...take a little time and just stand in the shower and breathe through your contractions. When you get to the hospital their intense approach to labor with all that pressure to dilate is probably the number one reason that you slowed down! And then you're laying on your back with the electronic fetal monitor...not a comfy and relaxing environment to progress in. I know it's tough...but you've got a 2 & 1/2 year old! You can handle a lot more than you think you can! I went through the same exact thing (they were also not braxton hicks...) so I know how it is. I was contracting for weeks and not dilating at all. The night my water broke I opted to sit in the tub with the water running over me during the first 2 hours before running to the hospital and by the time I got there I was 7 cm!! It was incredible how fast it progressed once I relaxed and just let it happen. Good luck my dear! Contact me if you have any more questions.

Malinda - posted on 08/02/2009

385

4

41

Are there any midwives or doulas in your area that you could consult? There may well be teas, exercises, suppliments, or other methods to alleviate your pain and/or help you dialate. Modern OB's are quick to the knife, and often don't tell mothers about (or simply aren't educated about) methods to aide labor.



Please don't let their protocols dictate the best route for your birth!! Not all women are the same, and not all women't bodies do the same thing within the same timeframe...

Kendra - posted on 08/02/2009

36

17

3

Thanks everyone. I'm just beyond frustrated, I don't want the baby to come at the risk of her health or anything. It's just dang, my contractions are 3-5 mins apart and last about 60 seconds each... all lower back pain and I feel like I just can't seem to get any relief! But because dilation is taking forever, they want me to a 3 first before they take the baby. When I was in at labor & delivery the other night, they told me the contractions I'm having are NOT braxton hicks, they are true labor contractions. Just apparently some women don't dilate as fast as others. Kind of discouraging to me because I couldn't dilate fast enough with my first child either, which resulted in the C-section... so I feel like I'm doomed... to sit for the next 18 days in this pain. Although, I will say... they are NOTHING like my contractions like with my son... with my son, oh my word... I'd rate the pain well over a 10... these ones, I'd say a 6 or 7.



I have heard about the VBAC cannot be denied type of thing, but I am already scheduled, so I won't go past that date for sure. In my area, they are prepared if I were to be in full blown labor that if there were no time to prep me for surgery, they'd have to do the VBAC. If I want a VBAC, I have to travel an hour and half away from my home to get one, they do not just allow you to "plan" on one. So they did give me options, just not the "best" options. I had already inquired on, well, I know you cannot force me to have surgery type of thing and such. And all the legalities around it, they said, they're not forcing me to go to the hospital in my area... that I can go to the one that will allow me to try for a VBAC. I have a 2 1/2 year old son at home already, and well, I don't want to have to be that far away from him if I were to go in for a VBAC. I'm also very scared of going through with my first son, trying and trying to deliver vaginally and was unsuccessful and end up in C-section anyway. I'd feel such a waste having been that far from my hometown and the rest of my family, kind of an inconvenience. With my son, my water broke... therefore, they had to induce me to get my contractions going and all. And their protocols here, you have to deliver the baby within 24 hours of the water breaking or infection is possible to the baby. I was an hour away from the 24 hour mark, not dilated much at all... and not much time left so they decided they needed to take my son by C-section... which is how I ended up with C-section with my first child.

Sarah - posted on 08/02/2009

1,258

14

164

It would really be best for the babies health if you waited. I understand and empathize with you that it must be very frustrating and tiring. However, 36 weeks is still very premature and at this stage of pregnancy every day makes a difference. If you aren't leaking fluids or blood than the only thing you're dealing with are contractions (if they aren't dilating your cervix then they're most likely Braxton Hicks). Don't be in such a rush to have that baby come because premature infants at that stage often are of low birth weight and have difficulty coordinating sucking resulting in problems feeding resulting in tube feeds and time in the NICU. Hang in there just a little longer, even a week and your baby will be just that much healthier. good luck!

Carin - posted on 08/02/2009

38

18

3

sorry, i've never had a c-section so i'm confused and very curoius about all this...
That's crazy! i'm frustrated for you too!
the hospital where i had my baby lets you have yer baby c-section or not, if yer having contractions for more than 24 hrs. as long as yer 34 weeks or longer!
36 is considered full-term right? did they give you any reason why they won't do the section early?

Kristen - posted on 08/02/2009

71

3

4

well i know im probably no help either but i know what you mean when you have to go get a c-section due to a prior c-section b/c i have a relitive that had to do the same thing but they changed it here after she alread had a natural birth after the c-section then for her other kids after that they made her get a c-section but if you don't mind having your baby vaginally then i would try to wait and see if you can hold off and try to go to the hospital last minute i know thats what i would try to do unless your having problems then don't take the chance but if you would rather get the c-section that is scheduled then i would but the dr and have them keep checking you well sorry if i wasn't any help good luck hope everything turns out well

Carin - posted on 08/02/2009

38

18

3

i know i'm no help, but i'm so sorry and i really hope someone responds with relieving information, and fast....

Is yer c-section scheduled on yer due dat? how early would the baby be if you were to gave him/her(?) today?

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms