Katherine - posted on 03/08/2011 ( 6 moms have responded )
1. Watching them sleep. There’s nothing more precious than the site of a sleeping baby, and that stays true no matter how old your “baby” gets.
2. Baby smiles. So sweet, so contagious, a baby’s smile just lights up a room.
3. First words. Whether they go for classics like “Mama” or something funky like “Tickle” and “Kitty”, the first words from your baby’s mouth are unforgettable.
4. First steps. I’m a sucker for firsts of all sorts, and the baby’s first steps are one of my faves.
5. A sense of the ridiculous. Kids are endless sources of absurdity.
6. Reminders of what really matters. There’s no getting too attached to plans or material possessions when kids are in your life. They keep you grounded in what matters most.
7. Second chances. While I love firsts, kids are experts at reminding us that when we make mistakes, we get to try again the next time.
8. Learning together. As your kids grow and learn, you’ll be learning, too. There’s something deeply fullfilling about the discoveries you make together.
9. Children’s museums. Kids are your built-in excuse to go play at the Children’s Museum. Likewise the playground, kid’s concerts and all the other fun places you’re too old to go without a tiny chaperone.
10. Sharing your joys. Your kids have a whole world to discover, and that includes discovering all the things you love. You’ll get to share your favorite books, movies and activities with them. They may not love all the stuff you love, but you’ll build some great memories trying things out together.
11. Watching your parents become grandparents. Suddenly, they’ll give your kids all the treats they’d never let you have in a million years, and smile while your darlings turn feral before their eyes.
12. Did I mention watching them sleep? There’s nothing like watching your child in peaceful slumber to end a long, joyful day together.
And another 30 quick hits on stuff to love:
2. Cute outfits
3. The cute outfits they make themselves
4. Craft projects
5. Mom friends
7. “Help” with your shopping
8. Dancing in the streets
9. Stopping to smell – and pick, and sometimes eat – the flowers
10. Baby overalls.
12. Finger paints
13. Believing in fairies
14. Tasting everything
15. Bedtime stories
16. Saying grace
17. Family movie night
18. Favorite colors (that change every day)
19. Slumber parties
20. Finding the perfect babysitter
21. Snow days!
22. Baby kisses
23. Mother’s Day cards
24. Helping with homework
25. Family bike rides
27. Mud pies
29. Reading together
If you’re noticing a theme, and that theme is sleep, its only because I love sleep so very much these days. My kids and I took a red-eye flight home from California together this weekend, and later on we had a family nap that will live forever in my memory as one of he most delicious naps of my life.
What do you love about parenting? Add your favorites to the list in the comments.