Kelsey - posted on 02/04/2013 ( 3 moms have responded )
My ex boyfriend wants to claim our 9 month old son on his taxes so he could get a huge sum of money back to buy a car for himself.
He told me he was claiming the baby because I'm not working and I won't get anything back. I told him no. The reason why I told him no, is because,
1. He's not paying child support even though he's ordered to in our joint custody agreement.
2. He is the most irresponsible person with money and is more then likely to blow it drinking or smoking.
3. My baby wouldn't see any of that money; even if my ex said he's going to give some money.
4. He does absolutely nothing for my son. Period.
I told him several weeks earlier, that my parents (my son's biological grandparents) were claiming me; since I'm in college and claiming the baby. I've checked into the IRS and my parents are more then qualified to claim the baby. My ex is not. I've explained the qualifications of,
1. Lived with the child more then six months. (Which my ex had not, I dumped him two weeks before hand)
2.Provided over half of the baby's support (Which he had not, because he was out drinking and partying it away)
Even if he was qualified; he's the non-custodial parent and he needs the the signature of the custodial parent (which is myself). Well, earlier this morning he informs me that he's doing his visitation tomorrow after being "sick" all of 'superbowl weekend. He also tells me that I'll be getting a grand soon because of taxes. I asked him, how. He claimed the baby.
I talked to the IRS again, and they said go ahead and claim the baby. But all; including my ex's paper work will get red flagged. The IRS says that he can't claim the baby. But I'm still worried. I want to be able to contribute to my household; even if it means getting a smaller amount back. I just can't believe my ex would be so dumb and selfish.