Fluoride Drops

[deleted account] ( 15 moms have responded )

Has anyone's pediatrician given you a prescription for fluoride drops? I have heard many horrible things about it and many schools have done away with the program after a child had died by accidentally swallowing the stuff. my hubby and I have decided against the stuff. I grew up without it(except in my tooth paste) and my teeth are just fine. What are your thoughts?

MOST HELPFUL POSTS

Tirzah - posted on 04/08/2011

5

0

0

I am a Registered Dental Hygienist. The amount of flouride in your water is PLENTY! If you give a child too much
flouride it can cause a condition called flourosis, or in laymen's terms "Colorodo Brown Stain"-a name they gave it after first introducing fluoride in amounts much too high (which they weren't privy too at the time), and it causes mottling/pitting and brown enamel..not cute. Also,too much flouride in the body can cause neurological problems. Children under the age of two should not receive any flouride. When you brush their teeth, use a fluoride free toothpaste or just water. It is the brushing action that removes the plaque from the teeth, not the toothpaste. If you live in an area with well water, which is a very rare instance, ask your hygienist to give your child a flouride treatment, but only after the age of five, due to the risk of your child not being able to understand "not swallowing" for a full minute. If your child receives a fluoride treatment, be aware that if they do swallow, not to induce vomiting, but instead to have them drink milk, which binds the fluoride molecule. Hope this helps!:)

Jocelyn - posted on 04/08/2011

5,165

42

275

I loath fluoride. We use fluoride-free toothpaste and I will never in a million years give my kids fluoride drops.
I was given fluoride drops as a baby, and my teeth are VERY discolored/mottled because of them.

Tina - posted on 04/08/2011

1,314

28

301

If you look on toothpaste labels it normally says not to swallow and too rinse and normally when a child is born you get information which includes teething and they recommend not using toothpasthe. Fluride may be good for teeth but it's not meant to be injested. In older people it may not be an issue but it shouldn't be given as a supplement in young children.

Gwen - posted on 04/08/2011

1,345

7

220

On the flip side, coming from a dental background, I've seen hundreds of kids, using fluoride drops w/ absolutely no mottling or discoloration as a result.

Jenn - posted on 04/08/2011

675

1

47

What is the purpose? If you live in a nonfluoridated area, your doctor or dentist may prescribe fluoride drops, tablets, or vitamins after your baby is 6 months old. If your tap water has flouride, that will be sufficient until your child is old enough for flouride toothpaste. There is no need for additional flouride mouthwash. Too much flouride, even with the drops, can cause teeth to mottle or stain. This isn't good and the doctor should be notified immediately. I highly recommend your child see a pediatric DENTIST. They have far more knowledge about the effects of flouride and the amount a child should receive over a period of time. Flouride has its benefits but too much can have adverse effects.

15 Comments

View replies by

Annette - posted on 04/09/2011

40

33

1

check with your water company... if you have floride in your tap water it really is not necessary.. but if it isnt since toothpaste at a young age is not a good source of floride i would give my child the drops.. my kids went to the dentist at 1 yr and every 6 months after. my dentist knew what was best for my babies teeth.. and... my kids werent afraid of the dentis becasue there first visit was filled with needles and drills.

[deleted account]

The amount of fluorine found in food is suffice. Its in everything you eat pretty much. Too much fluoride can harm the body and added to water, as drops or in any other form IS too much because its not taken into consideration how much you actually ingest naturally.

[deleted account]

The amount of fluoride you get from food is more than enough. Too much fluoride is really really bad for you. My home town is fighting to get fluoride out of the water because you do NOT need to supplement it. Its causing numerous health problems because its simply too much for the body to handle. http://www.fluoridealert.org/50-reasons....

Stephanie - posted on 04/08/2011

189

47

9

drs generally prescribe it if you dont have public water. My daughters doctor prescribed some for her and we gave the dose she was supposed to have in her cup of juice but we started to notice her face would get all red so we stopped giving it to her and her face stopped getting red so we gave it to her again and her face got red again so I called her dr and told them I wasnt giving them to her anymore bc of her reaction to it!

Emily - posted on 04/08/2011

2,233

8

295

My daughter's ped prescribed it, but we never gave it. There's fluoride in our water, that's enough for me.

[deleted account]

The thought behind it is that before a child uses toothpaste they need fluoride in their water. Most cities put it in the tap water. But if you live in a rural area or have well water then doctors like to give it.

I don't see how slowly poisining a child is good for their teeth or basic health. We actually avoid the tap water since it makes me horribly sick.

At least with toothpaste and the treatments at the doctors you don't swallow it... or at least you shouldn't. Most children's tooth pastes don't have fluoride in them because the child has a high chance of swallowing it.

September - posted on 04/08/2011

5,233

15

695

Our tap water has fluoride in it so we drink tap water from time to time. Foods or beverages that contain calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin A, and beta carotene are also great for keeping teeth strong and healthy. Fluoride drops are not necessary in our home.

[deleted account]

My mom was extremely anti-flouride. I only ever had it in toothpaste until I was an adult. I 'think' I've had 2 or 3 flouride treatments as an adult.

I wasn't as anti-flouride as my mom, so my girls did get the drops on occasion... and a few treatments from the dentist.

My son has only ever just recently had it in toothpaste (he's 3). I think that will be it for him and I'm not getting the flouride treatments at the dentist for my girls anymore.

I just can't get past the thought that I'm poisoning my children w/ that stuff.

Gwen - posted on 04/08/2011

1,345

7

220

Yes. Fluoride is beneficial to the development in childrens' teeth, especially in areas like mine where their is no fluoride in the city drinking water When used properly, the benefits are far greater than the risks. The horror stories are mostly just that. Don't buy into a lot of hype from the media.

Tina - posted on 04/08/2011

1,314

28

301

I agree with you. It's in toothpaste and added to water in some place I don't think fluride drops are necessary. It is poison in small doses is okay like most things but harmful if over used.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms