How can I help my 2 year old adjust to the arrival of a new baby??
MOST HELPFUL POSTS
My son was 19 months when my daughter was born, to help him adjust we:
1) made a conscious effort to involve him in my pregnancy, we told him there was a baby in mummies tummy, got him to hug and kiss the baby (in my tummy) and when she kicked told him baby was hugging him back.
2) when he came to the hospital after she was born I made sure that when he first entered the room my daughter was in the cot not in my arms, so he didn't feel threatened.
3) We placed a book for him from his baby sister in her cot and let him pick a present for her from him.
4) I try to include him all the time with the day to day looking after of her. I ask him to get me nappys, wipes and cream for example and then let him know how helpful he is. If she is upset I ask him to help stop her crying or if she is hungry so he feels important.
5) Likewise, I get my daughter (who is 10 weeks old) to hug my son when he is sad, and I chat to her about how her big brother is so good and how he is so helpful etc.
6) I encourage my son to bond with my daughter but do not push him if he doesn't want to do something, he likes hugging her and giving her kisses and he likes it even more when she kisses him back (when she is rooting he thinks she is kissing him I let him believe that because it makes him feel nice).
7) Finally now she is sleeping on her own more in the day I try and do an activity with my son on his own for at least half hour everyday so he knows he still has my attention because he is still my special little man.
We was quite worried about how he would adapt but he has been wonderful. Good luck and congrats
Kyley - posted on 08/10/2011
My daughter seems ok with it all
She has come to appointments with me & we are redoing her room as well as the babies room because she asked so I'm not trying to let her miss a beat & just make sure the transition goes well
Amy - posted on 08/10/2011
My son was 4 when we had his sister, he went go every doctors appointment with us and my doctor was really good about letting him push the buttons for the table and let him halp with the gel for the heart monitor.
He picked out the bedding and theme for the new babies room and the paint color. He also had veto power on his sisters name and ultimately he chose her name. Everyone family and close friends always acknowledged him before the baby and they all brought him something. My mom came down and stayed with us for two weeks so she spent a lot of time with her since he loves her more lol.
My daughter is now 16 months old and he adores her when she's annoying him I offer to take her back but he tells me we're stuck with her. Our dr warned us that he may not like her and that was a normal reaction too. We made sure for awhile each day he had alone time with at least one of us!
Join Circle of Moms
Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.Join Circle of Moms