Rashelle - posted on 11/05/2012 ( 4 moms have responded )
This all started when I went to a meeting with my oldest sons special education teacher. My son struggles with short term memory and reading. There were other problems I started noticing too such as writing numbers in the wrong order or writing letters backwards. I asked the teacher if he could be dyslexic and she told me that most of the students in his class had the same isssues and there was nothing to worry about. They also told me that he will graduate high school with a 3rd or 4th grade level reading level was fine. I was furious!
The next month I made an appointment with a learning disability specialist to find out if my son was dyslexic. I let his father know as well and he didn't seem very interested in what I was doing. After the specialist did a series of tests she did confirm that he was dyslexic and that he was left ear dominate. He also reads just below a 2nd grade level. For years I have talked to his teachers and no one has said anything to me. All they tell me is that they are doing the best for him.
So I decided to see other school districts and found one that is about 34 min. away from where we live. This school district has a very good special education program with support groups and after school activities to help my son. They also have a sound system to help him with his hearing. I collected a lot of information to show my ex that moving the kids to a new school district would benefit the oldest and now my youngest may be having the same problems as well.
I had to do a mediation appointment because him and I can not get along at all. The meeting was heated and he finally said if you have proof that the school district is better I will let them go. So I dropped all the information in front of him and he scanned over it and said no that isn't enough. Then his argument is that I would be taking away his days but if I could find a way to keep the same amount of days he would let them go. I did and he still is not budging, I should mention we have joint legal custody but I have sole physical custody.
That was back in August. He stated that if he got his days he would let them go and I even worked with what he wanted but he still is not signing. We are due in court on November 30th and now I am finding out that he is working with the kids current school district to get everything my son needs. The school has very poor ratings and is on the verge on losing some of their budget so they are doing whatever it takes to keep my kids here. This is not fair and I am just lost. I worked so hard and now I am afraid that I may possibly lose this case because what he and the school are pulling. Has anyone been through this before?