Is it okay if i will drink the ACVwhile breastfeeding?
MOST HELPFUL POSTS
Raye - posted on 04/18/2016
Here's a list of common side effects, and also concerns for those who are pregnant or nursing:
1. Sore Throat - This is the most common side effect. The strong acid in apple cider vinegar can irritate the throat and cause it to become sore. Dilute the apple cider vinegar with large portions of water to make it easier to swallow. Continually consuming apple cider vinegar may begin to corrode the membranes of your digestive tract.
2. Decreased Potassium - Consuming apple cider vinegar will lower your body’s natural potassium levels. Potassium shortage in pregnancy can cause fatigue, muscle cramps, abnormal heart rhythms, constipation and weakness.
3. Effect on Teeth - The high acid level in apple cider vinegar can cause your tooth enamel to weaken. After consuming apple cider vinegar you should rinse your mouth out (do not brush immediately after as that could remove MORE enamel) or sip this mixture with a straw to protect your teeth. Pregnancy can also lead to dental problems in some women, including increased risk of tooth decay and gum disease. Gum disease in pregnant women can lead to premature birth.
4. Stomach Upset / Nausea - After drinking apple cider vinegar you may develop a stomach ache that lasts for over an hour. Mixing eight ounces of water with two teaspoons apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon baking soda is recommended. You should not drink apple cider vinegar on an empty stomach and you may need to vary the time of day in which you drink this substance to determine when it sits well with your system.
5. Change of Bone Density - Apple cider vinegar is not recommended for those with osteoporosis as it has been known to lower bone density. Be sure you're getting enough calcium and vitamin D for you and for your baby’s growing bones. If you don’t get enough of these nutrients, your baby’s needs will be met by taking calcium from your bones, leading to a form of osteoporosis during pregnancy. Breastfeeding may also cause some temporary bone loss.
6. Severe Acne - Apple cider vinegar causes your body to cleanse itself of impurities which can cause acne to appear on the skin as these impurities move out of the skin. This side effect should only last a few weeks.
8. Severe Itching - Some have reported that taking apple cider vinegar for a few days has caused itching all over. This may be a sign of an allergy, so it may be necessary to stop using the vinegar until the itching subsides, then return to consuming the vinegar. If the itching returns you should avoid using apple cider vinegar in the future.
9. Headaches - As your body detoxes it can cause your body to develop a headache after using apple cider vinegar. These headaches should not be severe and will stop after a few weeks. If they continue or become severe, stop using apple cider vinegar. Some have found that using apple cider vinegar has actually helped to cure migraines.
10. Interaction with Drugs - Continually drinking apple cider vinegar can negatively interact with medications. Contact your doctor if you are taking other medications.
11. Diabetic Interaction - Those that suffer from diabetes should take caution when using apple cider vinegar because the chromium in this substance can affect insulin levels. During pregnancy – usually around the 24th week – many women develop gestational diabetes. This doesn't mean that you had diabetes before you conceived, or that you will have diabetes after giving birth. But it's important to follow your doctor's advice regarding blood glucose levels while you're planning your pregnancy, so you and your baby both remain healthy.
12. Nursing Mothers Warning - Nursing mothers should take caution as apple cider vinegar can be passed through the breast milk and it may be too strong for your child.
My advice is, not to take the ACV if you are pregnant or nursing. You should talk to a doctor about your sinusitis and what treatment my be better for you and your baby.
Join Circle of Moms
Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.Join Circle of Moms