Purvi - posted on 05/06/2015 ( 1 mom has responded )
My 2 yr old son is a non fussy toddler who is happy , playful guy but has one major delay causing us grief. He doesn't talk and his receptive language is also in doubt.
Here are the things we have observed. As I have been reading all over internet every child is unique and hence I can understand if there is no clear answer to this. But pls provide some thoughts other than talk to ped or get early intervention as that process has started.
1. If he has not seen his daddy for a while and if his daddy calls his name from 2nd floor of our house , he immediately runs towards the stairs and sees up and goes to him.
2. If we are around him, if we keep calling him to play ball , play car or just call his name to do something quick , there is no response. He keeps doing what is doing if that's playing with his toy or walking around with his toy playing with it.
3. He does NOT line up any toys but plays with cars and toys the way kids play holding and riding them on sofa or floor etc.
4. He plays with is toy riding car like normal , sitting and riding , honking etc.
5. He does NOT spin wheels of car etc but plays fully with it.
6. He makes eye contact and we do engage in pick a boo once he knows we are playing that.
7. He smiles at times if he has got your attention.
8. He sleeps well and eats well - no fuss whatso over.
9 He babbles but does not babble the same thing - non repetitive.. he probabbly is pretending something is when he babbles or talks to himself or something imaginery.
10. He says about 10 words but only few on his own. He says hi , bye , car, red on his own while playing or seeing us. But other words like shoes, train, tree, etc only if we say he may repeat.
11. He points to things he wants or pulls us to get it or grunts makes noises or brings that thing ( for eg: phone to me and pulls my finger to type the passcode )
12. He doesn't flap his hands , nor spins but sometimes he walks on his toes.
13. he liks furry blankets so if he sees one he uses it to and sucks his thumb to sleep or relax. It's his style of initiating a nap or sleep.
14. We take him to mall or playground and he is not fussy to be in crowded place. he plays like any other kids.
15. He knows the word No so if he tries to do something and if we say No, he stops it.
16. He loves to watch is nursery rhymes on tV or phone. We limit the use.
His hearing seems fine though not done a formal test but if a garage door opens he runs towards the laundary to see if his mum or dad are home. He also hears dings of txt msgs on phone and starts to look for phone if he hears one. But if he is busy playing something he doesn't respond to his name or anything like clapping or any such sounds other than if i turn on phone youtube.
Sorry for long list but any thoughts please if you have seen similar kids or have one. I have got EI started we have yet to get his evaluation done. I am really hoping he recovers and starts getting better.
Thanks for your support.