My 11 month old is chewing on her crib!

Kristen - posted on 08/03/2015 ( 12 moms have responded )

6

0

2

My 11 month old daughter has been gnawing on her crib before she falls asleep and after she wakes up. She puts herself to sleep for both naps and bedtime, so I always put her in her crib awake. Usually she goes right down, but sometimes she will cry and stand there yelling for a few minutes before collapsing and falling asleep. Additionally, sometimes she wakes up before expected or before I feel she has gotten enough sleep and I will let her cry for a few minutes to see if she goes back down (sometimes it works, sometimes it does not). Every once in a while when I pick her up there will be white specs all over her mouth. The inner part of the crib bar has spots that have been gnawed on and all the paint is gone. There is one spot where she actually made a decent dent. At first I was worried about her consuming the paint, but I was advised that it is not hazardous. I know she is teething, but this seems a bit extreme. Is this normal? If so, is there anything I can do to stop it? I worry about her teeth and gums on such a "non-chewable" surface. Also, its not so great for the crib... haha. Any tips or advice is most welcome!!

12 Comments

View replies by

Kristen - posted on 08/03/2015

6

0

2

Thank you for the advice ladies. My daughter never took a pacifier, and will chew ANYTHING and EVERYTHING she can get her hands on. its been that way since she discovered she could put things in her mouth. The only toy she has in her crib is her lovey. Thank you for all the advice on teething toys. However, even if I did give her a teether, she would probably just throw it out and continue to chew the crib. She is stubborn and determined. I do of course check on her when she cries, but teaching her independence and how to self soothe is very important to us. She is EXCELLENT at it and has been since we first tried the CIO method. It took us three nights of CIO and she began sleeping straight through the night. She genuinely enjoys her alone time and playing with herself. I always watch her the whole time on the monitor to make sure she is safe. I will check if she does not calm soon (a minute or so), but even checking on her does not stop her from standing and chewing. And checking too often just undoes all the work we put into teaching her how to self soothe. I mostly wanted to know if other moms have ever dealt with this and how.

~♥Little Miss - posted on 08/03/2015

21,273

9

3058

Yup. To each their own. You must use your parental discretion. Personally I would not take the chance with my childs life. Also, pacifiers can pose as a choking hazard also. Considering that the ones that are handed out in the hospital have choked kids due to parents not taking them away by a certain age. Also, if your child is teething, they can bite off the nipple to a binky and choke. So yeah, anything can be hazard. Also, any teether can be safe, or a choking hazard. Why take the risk? Sounds like baby just needs to be checked on when crying so he/she doesn't chew the railing. Problem solved.

Jodi - posted on 08/03/2015

3,561

36

3907

Given 75-85% of infants in western societies use pacifiers as some point in time....teething toys are not really a particularly high risk. There are teething toys that are quite safe. But that's a matter of opinion and totally up to you. Personally, I have had teething toys in the past that are safe in the crib, crib toys are out there and for sale as crib toys - if they were a major danger, they would be recalled. Infants have had crib toys forever. If you choose not to give them, that's a personal decision. If it is sturdy enough, it is really a non-issue.

However, I will admit it has been a while since I've read the label on a teether toy - maybe the warnings have changed in the last 10 years because society has become more paranoid.

Also, where I live, if it is ANY sort of choking hazard, whether supervised or not, it is labeled as not for a child under 3 because it is a choking hazard. So.....no, anything sold as a teething toy here would not be marketed to an under 3 year old if it were a choking hazard. Our labeling laws are possibly a little different. I would definitely recommend reading the label and if it does explicitly say not to leave the child unsupervised with it, would take heed of that. To me, if something is a choking hazard even when supervised, it shouldn't be recommended for an infant anyway.

But there are teething toys out there that are safe.

~♥Little Miss - posted on 08/03/2015

21,273

9

3058

I would NOT recommend putting a teether in the crib. It is recommended to ALWAYS supervise your child with teething rings or teething toys. (Just read the back of any teether toy). Once they cut teeth, they can chew pieces off, causing a choking hazard. It is never wise to leave any toys in the crib, to avoid smothering, standing on them and flipping over the railing, and choking hazards. Teething toys are meant to sooth teeth, AND help cut teeth. Babies jaws are very strong. The pressure of the teether against their gums helps the teeth break through.

Jodi - posted on 08/03/2015

3,561

36

3907

I would get her a teething toy or teething ring to chew on. I don't see the harm in placing it in her crib - they are designed so that infants can't choke on them.

~♥Little Miss - posted on 08/03/2015

21,273

9

3058

Teething hurts, and chewing helps relieve it. I would not put anything that she can chew on in her crib though....choking hazard. My kids both did the same thing. Not sure how to stop it, except go in when she is crying. Maybe pain relief will help? But don't give any without the pediatrician telling you how much. Good luck.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms