My 27 mo old son has a UTI and they want to do a VCUG

Kristie - posted on 02/24/2011 ( 4 moms have responded )




He wouldn't take the liquid antibiotics, so he's done 3 days of antibiotic shot. they want to schedule vcug and from what i'm starting to read it sounds like the most horrible thing to put him through. anyone been through it w/ your little boy? Can't we just wait to see if he gets another uti before subjecting him to the trauma of it all?


View replies by

Iridescent - posted on 02/26/2011




We had this done with my son when he was 8. It's not a happy experience, but is the smart thing to do considering the cause can be treated if it's structural. The alternative is leaving it, and if there is a structural or functional problem he'll continue getting infections, which can lead to kidney damage, failure, and sepsis. It's quite serious in boys because the urethra is not commonly contaminated with stool to cause infections as in girls.

Kristie - posted on 02/26/2011




going for his follow up appt on mon, writing down lots of questions to ask. i guess it's so uncommon in little boys, they want to diagnos why it happened.

torn between having it done to rule out anything or just waiting to see if he gets another. possibility of 2nd one being worse and leading to kidney issues would be horrible if we didnt do it now.

Katherine - posted on 02/25/2011




I don't understand why they would do that if they are dosing him with the shot.....

Louise - posted on 02/25/2011




I would talk to your doctor again about this and ask there advice as it is quite an invasive procedure. If your child is responding to the antibiotics then I would wait and see if this happends again.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms