Fran - posted on 02/01/2016 ( 2 moms have responded )
My partner of 2 yrs & I moved in together 2 months ago as my rental home sold and there was no where available for me to lease, in hindsight we realised we didn't go about things the best way, we were pretty ignorant as to how kids can react going into it and I have now moved out. My partner has 3 boys - 4,9 & 11. I have a daughter 9 yrs.
His 11 year old son, who is very close to his mum, does not like me no matter what I do or have tried over the last 6-9 months, this is why I moved out (my partners decision). My partners ex doesn't like me & blames me verbally to her friends and family that I broke their marriage up, although she now has her own partner she still tells those around her I am to blame even though they broke up 2 1/2-3 years ago & I definitely had nothing to do with it. The ex wife has tried to get back with him many times since they broke up (inc whilst we have been together) but the marriage is completely over, his son is aware that she wants the marriage back.
So unfortunately my relationship with him has never blossomed as he has heard bad things about me from his mum for a long while now. He is very critical of me and the day to day things I do, and he will stop talking to me & avoid walking past me in the house for the smallest reason. Recently my partner told me it wasn't working and the stress of the home life was too much so we agreed that I would move out, we decided to stay together but go back to separate living arrangements and work slowly over the next 6-12 months to get the kids feeling happy. My partner & I are very much in love and want to do the right things by the kids and make a happy home, we just aren't sure which is the best way to go. Initially (the evening we broke up) he told his boys we had broken up and the 11 year old was happy about it. My partner had said he would tell the boys we have decided to keep working on things but we wont be in each others lives all the time, we will just get together every now & then till things are more comfortable for everyone (or something similar to that). Now he is telling me he wont tell the boys until the eldest boy is in counselling which starts in a few weeks time. I am concerned that if the eldest son thinks I am completely out of the picture & then finds out I am back in a few weeks or months time he may react badly again but if he knew I was still around but not in his face when he starts counselling then the counsellor could help him with ways to deal with his emotions and situations he doesn't like in life but has to accept.
We are unsure what to do and we really don't want to stuff it up again, does anyone have any advice? Should we tell the eldest boy we are still together or should we leave it until he is well into his counselling?
Thanks in advance!