Patricia - posted on 03/21/2014 ( no moms have responded yet )
Hi, my name is Patty. I have a daughter who 19 months ago gave us the most precious gift ever, a granddaughter. She is the light of my life!! However, one week and 1 day after her birth, we were getting ready to take her to get pics taken, we were about to walk out the door, my daughter (Jessica) was putting Evelyn in her car seat and stopped and told her Dad that he needed to hold the baby she had to go to the bathroom. About 5 minutes later she was calling for me, I go to the bathroom and she asked me if this was normal!! Bless her heart she was pouring blood, it looked like a faucet was turned on. I told her no, kept smiling (didn't want to scare her, I was terrified), told her we needed to cancel the pics and go to the hospital. Things were already hard on her, her husband was deployed at the time of birth, he is a Seabee in the Navy. Needless to say I drove like a maniac, but we got there and by the time the Doc seen her, her bleeding had slowed down some and he actually was considering sending her home. The Doc did send her for an ultrasound, they removed a pretty good sized clot, he came back in and was talking again about sending her home. As soon as the Doctor left the room she said she had to go to the bathroom and stood up and the blood was just running down her legs. The nurses then took things a little more serious, but not calling the Doctor back, so I stepped out and told the nurse at the station that I wanted the Doctor back in the room now. He comes in and now he is concerned. Let me make this shorter my daughter ended up having 3 d&c's in total, two of them were emergency and one scheduled. The first one was done and she was sent home thinking all was taken care of. One week and 2 days later, she hemorrhaged again, back to the emergency room and another d&c. These were done by her obgyn that delivered her baby. After the second d&c her doctor sent her for an ultrasound and it was discovered that she still had placenta stuck in there, or product as they called it. She only sent her for an ultrasound after we called and wanted to know if it was possible that she had an acretta. Apparently her and one of her partners had talked about that possibility and her partner decided that was not a probability. So when we brought it up, she gladly sent her for the ultrasound. I think at this point she was afraid that she had messed up and was trying to please us in any way she could. Anyway, the doctor wanted to wait and see if my daughters body would absorb what was left in there, meanwhile we are expected to just sit and wait for the next hemorrhage, that could possibly take my daughters life or uterus. Not happy, so we changed Doctors!! The new Doctor was amazing!! She recommended that we go back in and do another d&c, but with a scope this time. She did the d&c and then took the scope went in and looked and seen there was still some more and then scrapped some more and went back again with the scope and it was all good. She was diagnosed with an acretta. Now to the real reason I am posting. My daughter is pregnant again and we are all thrilled!! She was told that she may never get pregnant again. She fought the entire time to breastfeed Evelyn, there were many highs and many lows. After the last d&c she was told she had no chance and that her breastmilk would dry up! My granddaughter is 19 months old now and is still breastfeeding. So they were obviously wrong, my daughter was sick of oatmeal and smelling like maple syrup, but she stuck with it and got her supply back. Saying that, she is still nursing and is maybe 5 weeks pregnant or so. She hasn't had an ultrasound or anything to diagnose whether she could have another acretta or not, my understanding is the possibility is high. Just can't find any info on women breastfeeding while pregnant and having an acretta!! Trying to do my homework and find out information!! She is reading about breastfeeding while pregnant, and thinks it shouldn't be an issue. As I told her, if she has an acretta, it may be an issue. I worry that her breastfeeding if she has an acretta could cause her to go into labor way to soon!! Any info on this would be extremely helpful!! Thank You in advance!!