Meghan - posted on 02/07/2014 ( 2 moms have responded )
First time, young Mom here -- nervous about practically everything I do! PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND IF YOU ARE ANTI RICE CEREAL. I have done much research and have chosen to move forward with this tactic and am here to get some general feedback. Thanks!
Short back story -- had all intentions of breastfeeding but it wasn't in the cards. Moved onto formula. Son diagnosed with reflux and prescribed Zantac liquid. He is just about 2 months old (young I know but his reflux is pretty intense!) My pediatrician said I COULD use rice cereal in his formula if " I " wanted but she "personally" wouldn't, not "professionally" but "personally". So mothers instinct took over and I couldn't bear my son crying after EVERY feeding. It brought me to tears. I tried the rice cereal and he is so content! However, I am somewhat ashamed? to ask my pediatrician about the ins and outs of rice cereal because she didn't strongly encourage it. My questions are:
1) Do I add it to EVERY feeding?
2) Do I decrease his formula amount to account for extra caloric intake?
3) Do I decrease the avg. feedings per day to account for extra caloric intake or increase length of time between feedings?
4) I have been mixing 1 tsp per ounce, does this sound correct?
5) I am putting the rice cereal directly in the bottle (3 1/2 ounces formula + 3 tsp rice cereal), is that right? I think I need larger nipples..
Any other tips and tricks about this situation would be great :)