Amy - posted on 04/17/2014 ( 10 moms have responded )
Hi fellow moms! I have a few questions regarding my 6 1/2 month old son and I could really use your help!!
Here are my questions:
1. Can I cover him with a small blanket at night now? (he is able to roll over from side to side, front to back, can move a cloth or blanket off his face) Also, I get cold at night sometimes & totally cover up with blankets I'm a 28 year old woman, so I would think a 6 month old baby would be freezing if an adult is cold in the same house/heating conditions!! Right??
2. Our son currently has a little touch of some allergies I think (I can hear a bit of a raspy voice & can hear the phlegm in the back of his throat that he's not able to spit up on his own) so I'm wondering how I can help him feel better... I try to use the bulb syringe to get whatever I can out of his nose, but can you also use it in his mouth to get that phlegm out? And if I can use it in his mouth, how will I know I'm getting the right stuff out?--like how would I be able to tell I'm getting the phlegm out and not just plain ol' spit (diff color?)?
3. Any of you moms make your own baby food? What kinds of food did you use when just beginning? Any foods I should avoid at first (I've heard you should wait awhile for carrots??)?
4. Is it too soon for a sippy cup?
5. My son has recently started having these sort of 'screaming fits' where he'll randomly let out a little squeal or a yell. He's done it once while we were in a store--which was super embarrassing! But he does it quite often at home these days and it's not like he's unhappy or uncomfortable or hungry---it'll just be when he's playing with a bunch of toys or even when he's eating! I suppose it could be frustration with him not being able to get a toy to do what he wants it to do?? Or sometimes he'll go from sitting up to hanging out on his tummy and he'll be trying to crawl, so maybe it's frustration with not QUITE being able to crawl (although he scoots around everywhere, so crawling is prob very soon!)? I hope he's not becoming one of those babies/kids who are unruly, loud and obnoxious when they're at home and in public---we as his parents aren't that way so I don't know where he would get it from.
6. My son has started waking around 5am every morning. Since he was born I've had a pretty strict morning routine as far as when he gets out of his crib---I don't get him out until 7am. So now that he is waking around 5am, I wonder if I should leave him in there until 7am or just get him out once I see he isn't going to go back to sleep? What do you think this 5am wake up is about? ***I am also trying to wean him off giving him a bottle & getting him to sleep totally through the night, so suggestions about giving him a bottle at 5am won't help much, lol. **once in awhile I will still give him a bottle when he wakes around that time, but I try not to**
7. My son is teething like crazy (has been for quite some time) and I just saw his first tooth coming in like a week ago! He seems just a bit whiny during the day, so I'm assuming this is due to his teething?? Does every baby get cranky while they teeth?? Any suggestions for things that worked for your little one while they were/are teething??
8. How many ounces of formula/breastmilk do/did you feed your 6 month old? Actually what did/will you feed your little one from 6 months up to about 9 months old (as his next check-up isn't until he's 9 months, so I don't know if his formula amount needs to change in that time frame!)?
9. Until what age is it suitable to use a white noise machine for our son? We have a little one that has the white noise, ocean waves, heart beat and a few songs..but we usually use the ocean waves. Might it affect his hearing or anything if we continue to use it?
10. At 6 months (and a few months after) do/would you consider any of your baby's behavior to be 'naughty'? Should I be telling him 'no' when he touches something he shouldn't ? Or tell him 'no' or something to that extent when he throws out one of his little screams?
11. When he throws out one of his little screams/whines is it okay to 'shush' him? Let him know that that isn't appropriate to be so loud and that he just needs to quiet down and/or not do that?
12. Anyone else teaching or taught their baby sign language? If so, how did it go?
Thanks for any/all input/advice/suggestions ladies!!! First time mom here! :)