Amy - posted on 04/09/2014 ( 4 moms have responded )
So my 6 month old wakes every morning around 5am and I'm not sure why. Could it still be for a feeding? Some mornings I will give in & feed him a small bottle and he'll usually go back to sleep after that (but whether or not I give him the bottle he is awake every morning by AT LEAST 7am--which is fine). I do try to avoid giving him the bottle if at all possible--especially if he's not crying or making a fuss. A lot of the time when he wakes at this time he just rolls around, babbles to himself, looks at his mobile & so on, so if I see he's not in distress I'll try and leave him be. However, this all means that I'm up at 5am & can't go back to sleep (which I'm coming to terms with & am really not too upset about anymore, but still....).
1. As long he's not in distress & not crying or throwing a fit, should I just leave him be in his crib?
2. If he is still sleeping when 7am hits, I leave him in his crib until he wakes. But if he is awake & just playing around babbling to himself & it's not 7am yet, I always leave him in his crib until 7am. Do you think that I should just get him up if he's awake & stop waiting for 7am?
3. Should he still be waking for a feeding at 6 months?
4. How can I tell if he is ACTUALLY hungry when he wakes at 5am or if he's just waking because he wants his pacifier? or because he's teething? or whatever the reason might be....
5. I remember I had asked his pediatrician about these morning feedings & she said that any feedings before 6am is still considered a 'night feeding'. Has anyone else heard of this?
6. I keep track of his daily feedings & total the amount at the end of everyday, but, I've never been sure if I should count a 5am feeding for the previous day or the current day.. (Ex. it's wednesday & I will keep track of all of his feedings today & then say he wakes at 5am tomorrow morn---would I count that feeding in with Wednesday's total or would that be the start of Thursday's feedings?)
7. If you have (or, when you had...) a young child around mine's age, what time did your day start?