Marina - posted on 09/23/2015 ( no moms have responded yet )
I thought my 3rd baby was my last baby so when we potty trained him a year ago I got rid of my cloth diaper stash ... well here I am 6 months pregnant with my 4th child and so to save myself some money I decided to buy used supplies instead.
I bought a pretty good diaper and liner stash from several people and was successful at removing any stink and most of the stains of the used ones. I have several inserts and a couple of cloth diapers that still have stains and some inserts that are yellowed/browned and I can't seem to get them out. I'm typically good at stains and whitening but these last ones have me stumped. Any ideas? Here's what I've done so far (in order) to get the stink and most of the stains out:
- Ran through a complete wash on hot water with no detergent to make sure any excess detergent was out.
- Did a hot rinse to check for bubbles followed by a regular wash cycle also in hot with bumGenius detergent and Biokleen oxygen bleach. Sunned.
- Put the Inserts a large pot of boiling water for 15 mins, turned off the stove and let the water cool. Washed in washer with baking soda. Sunned.
- Ran through a complete wash on hot water with distilled white vinegar instead of detergent. Sunned.
- Ran through a complete wash on hot water with Mighty Bubbles to remove build up. Sunned (by this time all of the stink was gone and most of the stains were also)
- Pre-treated the ones with remaining stains/yellowing/browning with Bio Kleen Bac Out (stain & odor remover), let sit for 10 mins then ran through a complete wash on hot water with more Biokleen oxygen bleach. Sunned.
- Dampened them in the sink and ran them through a spin cycle, poured a little fresh squeezed lemon juice directly onto the stains. Sunned them. Ran through a rinse with hot water.
- Hung them damp on the line and treated them with Bac Out and sunned them dry. Ran them through a hot rinse cycle. Sunned them.
The above got rid of all of the stink in the diapers and inserts, all of the stains in the diapers and most of the stains in the inserts. There is still some stains and some discoloration (yellowing/browning) and I'd like to try to get them back to white (I'm OCD, sorry) before tossing them and buying these new.
Also some of the inserts are "crunchy", rough and stiff, is there a way to get them soft again? I already used Calgon water softener and tried drying them in the dryer with dryer balls (the ones with no stains/discoloration). HELP!!