24wks pregnant and aiming for a vbac this time any advice?

Ardia - posted on 04/07/2010 ( 5 moms have responded )

28

11

1

24weeks pregant with my second child after having an emergency c section with my first. (due to bad positioning getting stuck in the birth canal), i am very determined to have this baby naturally and as there is no medical reason why i cant i was looking for some advice please.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

5 Comments

View replies by

Kristy - posted on 04/07/2010

1

17

0

I just had my second child 2 weeks ago, and was also hoping to have a VBAC. My first child was an emergency c-section because the amniotic fluid had dropped off drastically at 36 weeks, and the baby wasn't tolerating contractions during a stress test. The doctor told me that I was an excellent candidate for a VBAC, because the previous C-section had nothing to do with problems during labor/delivery, but was due to issues that I had had throughout the pregnancy with the placenta pulling away from the uterine wall. Also, the fact that my sons are almost 7 years apart worked in my favor, because the scar on my uterus had plenty of time to heal. The doctor said it would have been different if my kids had only been a year or so apart. As it turned out, my baby was born via c-section anyway, because I was overdue by a week, and my cervix was still closed. I had an ultrasound the day he was born, and the amniotic fluid was low, so the doctor didn't want to let me wait it out any longer. Because of my previous C-section, my options were limited. Using drugs like pitocin would have taken me from a low risk birth via C-section to a moderate risk birth, and I would have had to go to a different hospital that was better equipped to deal with any problems that might have arisen with the induction, and I was not comfortable with that plan at all. As much as I wanted to VBAC, it didn't make sense to elevate the risk to me, or my baby. At first, I was really disappointed, because I had my heart set on a natural labor and delivery, but when my son was in my arms 2 hours later, perfectly healthy, all of that disappointment went away. My advice is to get as much information from your doctor as you can, but also to be aware that in spite of all your plans, a VBAC may not be possible in the end. I never even considered the possibility of another C-section, so I was really unprepared when the doctor told me that the VBAC wasn't an option for me. Good luck to you! I hope that everything works out the way you want it too! :)

Kele - posted on 04/07/2010

5

33

0

For starters ask your doc if they will preform a VBAC and most will tell you that they won't. If you want a Doc then keeping looking for one that will support your decision completely. I had an emergency c-section with my first and a successful VBAC with my second; so it is possible. I was in the hospital setting with the first and decided that with the second I would go to a free-standing birth center not affiliated with any hospital. The hospital is across the road from the birth center which is one of the criteria to be able to have a VBAC at this birth center. I had two midwives and a completely natural, drug-free birth, and absolutely loved my experience. I educated myself, and really set my mind to have the type of birth I wanted. My next child I even plan on having a home birth. If one Dr tells you no, don't get discouraged, just keep looking :)

Oriana - posted on 04/07/2010

2

24

0

Agree with Emilie...many docs are not willing to try, so find one early. I am 33 weeks and going for VBAC, doc says as long as you have the "bikini" cut incision, did not have a cesarean for certain health reasons before, and have a complication free pregnancy, everything should be just fine. Good luck and congratulations!

Jessica - posted on 04/07/2010

1

11

0

I am pregnant w/ my third.. first was vbac second was a emergency c-section as he got stuck on my tail bone... my midwife is telling me that there is less than 1% of anything going wrong .( i am going for a vbac this time around as well!) I think it all depends on your doctor and what hospital you will deliver at....

Emilie - posted on 04/07/2010

916

35

139

Talk to many doctors. I started going to this one doctor and I didn't ask him about a VBAC right away. By the time I asked him about it, it wa to late to switch doctors. I really wish I had because the doctor that I was seeing refussed to let me try a VBAC. Now I want to have a 3rd child,but I don't know if any doctors will do a VBAC after 2 C-sections, but I am really hoping to find a good doctor.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms