Eating Crayons

CJ - posted on 09/30/2010 ( 11 moms have responded )

188

27

6

My 19 month old keeps eating her crayons and other things such as napkins at every chance she gets. She eats plenty, but I keep catching her eating crayons and napkins as though they were snacks. Should I be worried??

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

11 Comments

View replies by

Sonya - posted on 09/11/2013

1

0

0

My child is 6 years old and he just started eating paper n crayons in school I don't see him eating these things at home and he won't sit in his seat at school. When he comes home he does not do these things. Help I need to know why he is acting up at school but not at home.

Gabe - posted on 10/01/2010

8

0

1

yes it is normal but after 3 if it is still happening after you discourage it till your blue in the face then i would go to the doctor she may be iron deficient also not trying to scare you like i said at this age it is definately normal but if it persists after the age of 5 she may be developing Pica but like i said that is LAST RESORT crayon taste is very appealing to young children

Iridescent - posted on 10/01/2010

4,519

272

1080

Ours still eat crayons, and they're 3. It's a normal stage, and not a sign of a health problem. If she starts eating glass, sand, going totally nuts over ice chips (and I mean nuts, demanding them, refusing all else, not typical "oooh ice yummy!"), paint chips, dirt, get labs drawn. Crayons and napkins and wipes and coins and toys are all typical - some is related to teething, some is related to textures and tastes. Of course, if she actually eats a coin or toy go in to the ER, and if she's eating hard plastic or metal objects past 2 years old request an OT evaluation to see if she has some oral need to help her move past it. Sounds fine though right now.

CJ - posted on 10/01/2010

188

27

6

It's mostly just crayons and napkins...occasionally her wipes if she gets ahold of one. I know most kids will eat crayons, I just wasn't sure if they did it to the extent my daughter is. She loves to color, so it's difficult to keep the crayons away from her, because if they aren't out she's constantly asking to color. But if they are out she'll color for a bit, then go do something else, and the next thing I know she's eaten almost an entire crayon. She'll just sit down and munch on it like it's the tastiest thing in the world. I think I'll bring it up to her doctor at her next appointment still, as I have heard that kids who are Iron deficient crave non-edible things...it'll make me feel better to know for sure. I wasn't too worried that the crayons or napkins would hurt her...the crayons are non-toxic, and I used to eat paper when I was a kid, and it never hurt me.

Ashley - posted on 10/01/2010

368

59

26

Just as long as whatever she's eating is non-toxic! Lol! My son is 21 months and still eats crayons! Just last week I caught him biting the felt tips off of Crayola markers! He had green & blue everywhere! He even had a blue & green poop! Lmao. I wouldn't worry abt it too much!

Jen - posted on 10/01/2010

1,086

35

182

my 22 month old eats crayons too but not all the time but if i have turned my head away he only dne it about 3 times n now i just use glittler crayons tht come in prick sticks like glue i had them from early learning centre so he can colour at his hearts attempt but not eat them.

Amanda - posted on 10/01/2010

2,559

3

365

Wow Mshannon thats a tad extreme for something just about every child does.



My mom use to joke around that her kids had the most colourful poops in the neighbourhood thanks to crayons!



Our latest child we just made sure crayons and paper were kept up when we werent drawing, and kept her out of the bathroom. This is a normal thing to do because children learn by, feel, smell, sight and taste. Taste is actually the FIRST part of learning when children are young, and for some it takes a little longer for them to get over that natural need to taste everything in sight.

MShannon - posted on 10/01/2010

6

21

0

bring her to the doctors. what she is doing can be a lack of vitamins/ minerals. i forget what actually can cause the kids to do that but she need labs drawn. has she had a lead level drawn recently?

Julie - posted on 09/30/2010

376

12

52

my sister use to get flys out of the sliding glass door track and eat them... and food from the dog bowl(she did have shiny hair)

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms