He tries to eat EVERYTHING!

Jessica - posted on 12/29/2009 ( 12 moms have responded )

4

26

0

my 11 month old son sticks everything and anything he can find in his mouth. all day long I am sticking my fingers in his mouth to pull unedible things out of his mouth I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or ideas of how to get him to stop??

MOST HELPFUL POSTS

Elanor - posted on 12/29/2009

161

19

4

Babies are stone age creatures, and the way us stone age creatures explore the world is with thier mouths, it is a natural reflex. Paper won't hurt them. Just make sure that anything in reach is safe and not too small. I also have a 4 year old, as well as a 6 month old - we are always picking things up that my 4 year old leaves. I LOVE my wooden floor, at least you can actually see the dirt, it just soaks in to carpet!!!! Try making a treasure basket, of all sorts of interesting things, sppons wooden spoons, shells scarves, soft brushes (all clean and not sharp) help baby explore his world.

Angie - posted on 12/29/2009

2,621

0

406

Babies use all of their senses to learn - this is totally normal. Make sure anything dangerous is out of his reach and supervise him like crazy! It's not about getting him to stop this behavior, it's about you babyproofing your home.

This conversation has been closed to further comments

12 Comments

View replies by

Keeley - posted on 08/17/2011

11

12

1

my 3 year old does this and iv had 2 visits from health visitor tellin me to try to distract him and take away what he's eating ie move all books high up where he cant reach and iv had to put a lock on the bathroom door too, i was told it was just a phase but i actually think he enjoys it as he was given a cake and ate the paper cake case before the cake itself :\

Nikole - posted on 12/29/2009

119

63

14

Yes, yes... all these are true from the mommies above, but it sounds to me like baby may need something to do! Try to do give baby more toys to keep him occupied. Also, be sure to keep teething rings handy. Sounds like baby might be teething.
A rocker chair with toys hanging, noisy toys that keep him distracted from the yummy items around the house... anything to ease the boredom. But always have that teething ring and make sure you stick it in the fridge for cooling babies gums. :)

Amber Lynne - posted on 12/29/2009

70

45

2

fun stage-everything up off the floors, except what you give them to play with. It's a never ending battle. Now that my son is 2-he just climbs on top of everything and get's whatever he wants. It's hard to stay on your toes-just goes with the territory.

September - posted on 12/29/2009

5,233

15

691

Yes put things away that you don't want him to put in his mouth. It's pretty common for 11 month old's to put everything in their mouths.

Adrienne - posted on 12/29/2009

549

24

45

Both of my sons did it as well. Just keep taking it out telling him no that doesn't go in your mouth. My oldest son doesn't do it anymore but my 1 1/2 will still do it once and a while. I just made sure that the really really tiny pieces were gone but they would still find them. Just keep on him, he should grow out of it.
I was told by a health nurse that if it can fit in a toilet paper roll that a child could swallow or choke on the item.

Dana - posted on 12/29/2009

11,264

35

489

Jessica, you just have to keep floors clean, no shoes inside, put up everything and pick up anything that drops. You can't stop him, you can only stop yourself from allowing it to happen. That being said, they will still find stuff here and there, you can only minimize it and make sure dangerous, i.e, pills, cleaners, are out of reach.

Dana - posted on 12/29/2009

11,264

35

489

Quoting Angela:

My daughter is three and I catch her eating toilet paper, regular paper, and dirt. I am not sure how to get her to stop either, but you are not alone



I'd talk to the doctor about this just to be sure.  Sometimes eating toilet paper and dirt are signs of a deficiency.

Angela - posted on 12/29/2009

1

13

0

My daughter is three and I catch her eating toilet paper, regular paper, and dirt. I am not sure how to get her to stop either, but you are not alone

Kayla - posted on 12/29/2009

45

33

3

My son does the same thing, he is also 11 months. I know it sucks but the only thing you can do is make sure everything is put up and out of reach. My house looks so unorganized but it is the only way to keep it from happening... I find myself sweeping three or four times a day from foot traffic (I HATE WOOD FLOORS!!!!) bringing in leaves and who knows what else...

Sharon - posted on 12/29/2009

11,585

12

1314

yeah. clean up your floors.



When you have a child - you're supposed to baby proof your home.



All babies do this mouth exploration thing. This is why the cat box has to be out of reach. Keys can't be left on the coffee table. Tinsel can't hang on the lower branches of your Christmas tree. Dropped pills HAVE to be found.



Babies will put EVERYTHING in their mouths. I've heard every horror story from "my baby ate a dead spider" to "we're still waiting for the dime to show up".



Anything left out should be to large to swallow, nontoxic, non breakable... etc.



Getting him to stop.. tell him "we don't eat that/this" and take it away and make a big show of throwing it away saying "ew icky yuck, that isn't food!"

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms