How many of you have/would terminate a pregnacy if the fetus had/has down syndrome?
MOST HELPFUL POSTS
Amanda - posted on 09/25/2011
During my prenatal testing I was told my daughter had DS & spinabifada. She wouldn't survive my pregnancy & if she did wouldnt live past a couple of months. I redid all my testing w same results & almost terminated her. The day of I just couldn't being myself to go. Every day I'm thankful I didn't because she doesn't have DS or spinabifida, she's perfectly healthy with the exception of a slight hearing problem. Whatever you decide to do make sure your doing it for the right decision & not out of selfishness.
Tina - posted on 09/25/2011
No I wouldn't I would love it anyway. My Aunty was told that her daughter had down syndrome and considered aborting but decided to keep her and she turned out perfectly healthy. I also know another couple who tried for years to conceive a child they finally did and were told their child had down syndrome they terminated the pregnancy and it turned out the baby was perfectly healthy they were devasted.
Krista - posted on 09/25/2011
I'm with Erin. If we're talking about something horrific like Tay-Sachs disease, where the child would have a very short and extremely painful life, then yes, I would terminate the pregnancy. But for Down's? Goodness, no. I know several people with DS, and they are happy and productive and have so much to contribute.
Candi - posted on 05/31/2013
i just found out yesterday that there is a very good possibility of my baby having ds also. I was so scared to do the cvs test i just opted for the blood test for now, but i have the cvs test scheduled for next week. Im in the same boat you are. I just turned 31, and have a 9 year old daughter, my husband is in the military and we live thousands of miles from any family and i do not have alot of friends here either. I just dont know if that is something that I could be able to take on. Not with my husband being deployed. Is it fair to our daughter to have to put so much into a child with ds? is it fair to put all that on my shoulders alone? I know that i would love this baby just as much as my daughter, but i just dont know if im physically and mentally able to do it. :/ i am prochoice, and have had 5 miscarriages so i was blessed when we found out about this baby. then the thought turns to.. what if we do abort and try again. what are the chances of it happening again? so many questions that i just do not have the answers too!!..
This conversation has been closed to further comments
Michelle - posted on 01/29/2013
I had testing and it showed nothing. I was almost 35 wasn't offered an amnio and my son was born with down syndrome. It was the same for alot of women. If the test your having done isn't more accurate don't trust it. They factor in alot of things. You can get a high level ultrasound that can show it to. Before you go and have an abortion research things. If there is downs go meet some kids with it. Go too local school. all kids have their challenges There is a wait list for adoption for downs kids also. You'll also have to live with your feelings after an abortion. If you do go that road don't wait. Read about partial birth abortion closer to the 20 weeks before you would do that. Ask your Dr about more testing to prove there's downs if they don't help get another Dr. Hope everything turns out good for you.
Portia - posted on 09/29/2012
Had you asked this question a couple years back, I'd say yes. However, look at this:
2 years going on 3, I delivered a son who was prediagnosed with Otocephaly with Agnathia (very rare and lethal defect). When he was born 3/25, he had what the doctors said and yet they did everything they could to save him. 3/26 Dominic passed. I vowed that day to never look at or think of another baby. Then after being told that it would never happen again (the odds were on my side), I decided to try again. I became pregnant with a little girl. Everything was great until the routine ultrasound showed that the baby had the same condition. After sitting in that room, I told them I wanted to end the pregnancy. I couldn't bury another baby. I made the appointment to go in a week later to terminate. Long story short, I couldn't. Elyse Isabella was born with a milder form of the defect, BUT was given 4 hours to live AND doctors told me they'd only do hospice care for her. Today, she is 3 days shy of 9 months. Just had her 1st surgery to correct her lower mandible (jaw) and give her a shot at being able to talk.
While this may not be the same a DS, it's the same ending. Do not give up on your children before they have had a chance to live. You never know how that child will impact your life. Bella is an inspiration to all that meet her. The doctors that wrote her off, are eating their words and some can't seem to face me and one shed a tear in the room when we went to the ER. The ones that believed in us, well they are in love with her!!! But that is just my personal opinion and my story. I hope that will help in anyway. Good luck, honey.
Stifler's - posted on 09/27/2011
That's a pretty small chance that your baby has down syndrome. I had the "nuchal translucency" test with both of mine and I'm not sure why since I probably would not have had an abortion even if they'd said it was likely.
Brooke - posted on 09/25/2011
Me personally at this stage.. I would. I have two young children to worry about and they would be at a loss if we brought a child into the house who had down syndrome.
I have nothing against people with disability's.. I work in aged care!! But to bring that into my home life I would not be able to do.
BUT anyone who can.. my hat goes off to you.
When I had all the genetic testing, I was told that I had a 1:5 chance of the baby having a chronosomal abnormality, e.g. Downs Syndrome.
I had amniocentesis and tried not to worry about it, because a 1:5 risk means there is an 80% chance that the baby will be fine.
My baby girl was born prematurely because of my uterine abnormalities, but she herself was and is perfect.
Don't overstress about a 1:5 and CERTAINLY do not take any rash action, such as termination, on the basis of that number alone.
Sherri - posted on 09/25/2011
Just had this done as well. My initial testing came back positive so I had a CVS done where they took a piece of the placenta and tested that and luckily for me it was 100% negative.
If you are between 13 & 14wks you can have a CVS done 100% accurate and if you are further along you can have an amnio done also 100% accurate in being able to tell you for sure.
However, if it had been positive we would have 100% aborted as we have 3 healthy children and it would have been unfair to them as well as we are older and if this child is severe then it would have to live the majority of its life in a home somewhere. Really not fair to him either.
Sal - posted on 09/25/2011
Get some other opinions knowledge is power!! But I would never judge someone for making that choice (to abort) it is a huge life inpacting thing and not just for mum and dad but siblings too as life long care is somethings to think about. Get more tests done get more opinions but make a decision on what you know you can deal with .. Good luck
Firebird - posted on 09/25/2011
I already have a daughter with Autism, I really don't think I could handle Down's Syndrome on top of that. But I would definitely seek several opinions, multiple testing by different doctors, and would certainly not abort unless it was a VERY high chance. 1 in 5 (or 20 %) is not a high enough risk to make me terminate the pregnancy.
Sapphire - posted on 09/25/2011
I would seek 2nd or 3rd opinions with a completely different doctor and genetic specialist ASAP before making this critical decision. I am pro-choice becasue I know my own limitations as a parent. As far as terminating for DS-that's a big question mark. I am unsure and would seek counseling first. I personally do not feel I could handle parenting a DS child, and fear for my own mental health/depression, destruction of marriage, and advancement in my career. However, I would be open to listening to a professional's advice before making a decision. Raising a special needs child can be enriching and rewarding for so many families- but I also have to respect that not all families can handle the immense pressure. All the best to you!
Michelle - posted on 09/25/2011
I never had any of the tests because I wouldn't have terminated at all. Luckily all 3 of mine are healthy and drive me insane most days. Even having a higher risk with #3 being over 30 I didn't take the tests. My husband and I discussed it and said we would deal with what we were given. I felt that the chance of miscarriage with the amnio was too high for just a test.
Dianne - posted on 09/25/2011
for myself id want the follow up tests like the amnio but if it still showed a very high chance i would probably terminate (hopefully never have to consider this), keep in mind that the tests have a high degree of false positives as well and it depends on what you could live with, the chance of terminating a healthy normal child or raising a child with downs
Kellie - posted on 09/25/2011
I'm unsure, when I was pregnant with my daughter it came back a 1:23 chance and I had an Amnio which cleared her and I thankfully didn't have to make that decision.
I am leaning towards (for myself) yes. There are many things to consider with Downs Children that go above and beyond learning difficulties, they can have serious health issues and while they can be almost fully independant who would help look after them when I died?
But that's me and I don't consider Abortion to the the Evilest thing one can do. It's not an easy thing to do, but it's not the Evil some people make it out to be either.
But like Erin says, the test are not 100% accurate, even the Amnio isn't. It's high 90's accurate (from memory) but not 100%.
At the end of the day it's about what you can cope with. Can you cope with a high special needs child? could you, if you chose to Abort, live with that decision?
Erin - posted on 09/25/2011
Have you had an amnio? Or just the NT scan?
But to answer your OP, no I would not terminate a baby with Downs. I am pro-choice, and there are some congenital abnormalities that would likely lead me to make the difficult decision to terminate. But Downs isn't one of them.
Join Circle of Moms
Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.Join Circle of Moms