Julie - posted on 07/04/2012 ( 24 moms have responded )
My son is 15 years old. He wets his bed at night, I'd say, 5 of the 7 days a week. We've tried the typical
1. Waking him up at night to use the bathroom (his wetting times are not the same all the time),
2. No drinks after a certain time at night (although, he doesn't seem to care and sneaks drink when he thinks I don't know),
3. Making sure he uses the bathroom before he goes to bed,
4. Seeing a urologist, having tests on the bladder for defects, using medication, etc. Tests are normal. I'm told he sleeps too hard and needs to train himself to wake up.
5. Leaving it up to him to resolve the problem, aka, taking ownership.
6. Using a "Potty Pager" alarm (which he refuses to wear).
Nothing is working. He is at the point that he doesn't seen to care anymore. His bedroom STINKS!! He is responsible to take care of the sheets everyday, hoping this will be a push to have him care about this, and take the necessary step to help prevent it. I gave him the potential reward of getting new furniture/mattress when the issue is resolved, and it is still not enough!!
He's not allowed to spend the night at friends' house, because of the obvious. His self esteem is in the toilet (no pun intended). What can I do?