Bradi - posted on 08/18/2010 ( 2 moms have responded )
Two kids and two entrepreneurial ventures, mixed with friends and family that I try to keep close equals one "non-silent" mind. So, I re-read an upload by MyWorkButterfly.com's (in partnership with COM) member and life balance expert Diane Lang, and here is what she said:
(After you read- please share your advice on how find some silence!)
1. Meditation - I'm probably not the best at meditation because I end up falling asleep but what I did learn is: if I fall asleep from meditation or the gratitude checks ( see below). I end up with positive dreams & good visions of what is going on in my life.
2. Gratitude checks - it was a perk of using gratitude at night. Right before bed, I start my 2-3 minute gratitude check. I start talking to myself about what I'm grateful for and before I know it, my mind is quiet and I have gotten rid of the baggage of the day. Sometimes, I sit in silence and sometimes I fall asleep but either way I'm in a peaceful state.
3. Connecting with nature - it could me meditating outside or just talking a walk. Most people agree if you can find a quiet spot where you are in tune with nature, you will reap the benefits of quieting your mind. If I can find a quiet path, I walk and clear my mind at the same time. I figure I can burn calories while de-cluttering :)
4. Exercise - I had a friend tell me, that when they swim I can clear my mind. I had another friend tell me, when she walks on the treadmill or does lunges, it clears her mind. For me, walking in the park works. If you love exercise and it clears your mind then your getting all types of benefits. Exercise is great for the heart and cardio, it reduces your stress hormones, produces endorphins, burn calories and clears your mind - wow!
5. Writing - Free writing works - just write, don't think about what to write just write what comes to you. It doesn't matter where you write or if it's on paper or your computer, it's just about clearing your mind.
6. Flow - if your doing something you truly are passionate about , you will end up in flow. Flow is when you don't even realize how much time has passed because your completely involved in the activity. It doesn't matter the outcome just the journey because your doing it for the passion/love of the interest/hobby.