How do I go about taking parental rights from bio father that hasn't had any contact in 3 years..

Belky - posted on 01/13/2011 ( 6 moms have responded )




I am married with 3 kids however, my oldest son, whom is 9 years old, isn't from my husband. His biological father hasn't had any contact in about 2 and a half years, no phone calls, no child support, no show. I have searched the internet but the rules on this subject in NYC is very vague and not understandable. I need someone who has been through this to let me knw the rules in NYC because he has caused alot of disappointment and heartache in my son before he disappeared and I don't want him just popping up to cause a rift in my family anymore. In addition, my husband just asked me can he adopt my son about 4 months ago, which is the reason why I started looking for the info.

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS


View replies by

Callie - posted on 01/13/2011




Definitely seek legal advice. Most, if not all, law schools have legal clinics. Most of the time these clinics deal with only family law which is what you need. You can get free or at least low cost services from them. They are staffed by 3rd year law students who are overseen by professors (licensed attorneys). They will be able to inform you of your rights and what you need to do and I believe they can also appear in court for you (if it comes to that). Good Luck! I hope you find the answers you need.

Maleah - posted on 01/13/2011




Find a lawyer that handles this kind of stuff.. There are alot that offer a free first visit..

Danielle - posted on 01/13/2011




contact your local, law association/board. they give out free legal advice, and sometimes offer to help w/o pay. alot of the help is interns trying to earn their degree

Belky - posted on 01/13/2011




yeah I wish things were that simple, but as everyone knows, NY can be very difficult at times.

Asia - posted on 01/13/2011




here in ohio he is absent and unless he contacts a lawyer he is out of the picture. I do not believe he has any legal part to that child anymore. But again that is ohio.

Rachel - posted on 01/13/2011




I am going through a similar situation but in PA and I also can not find any info my suggestion and what i am going to be doing is going to a lawyer and talking to them. find one that does free consultations and ask them. good luck

If you see this, leave this form field blank.
Powered by RESPECT not THUMPS

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms