military doctors

Kayla - posted on 03/11/2010 ( 8 moms have responded )




im some what new to the military and currently had a baby and i hate that everytime i take her to doctor i dont see the same one and not only that but i can never call my doctor for her when i have questions.. does it get better or easier or what can i do i want to have a good relationship and trusting relationship with the doctor that is caring for my child. and i feel like what i say goes in one ear and out the other with them any advice?


View replies by

Candi - posted on 08/13/2010




Go to the Tricare office and you'll have better luck. I had to request my own PCM to be changed. I was having trouble with my appendix for over a year and my doctor brushed me off telling me if I pooped I would feel better! Well, it was appendicitis. I had to drive myself to the ER with 3 kids, hubby deployed! I got rid of that DR!! Now we live in Virginia and my kids have the most amazing Dr ever!! She is absolutely wonderful. I have a PA who is wanting nothing but for me to be perfectly healthy and is willing to do whatever it takes. If I have a female issue I am sent to the GYN on post! Talk to Tricare and explain your reasons. If you live more than 30 minutes from post, you won't have any problem getting switched to a civilian. Good Luck

Megan - posted on 08/04/2010




ask for a civilian doctor. i just had my first baby and honestly did not like having to have him on the base. i loved the doctor that did my surgery but did not care for the nurses or the doctors after he was born. also shop around my sons first pcm was booked up for a month and i couldnt even get in to see them! it was outrageous....

Beth - posted on 06/27/2010




I feel the same way I have a 4 month old and the doc is only in the room for 3 mins tops. this last time I finally said hay I am a first time mom and I have questions. he actually listened. the internet has been my best friend and friends and colleagues that have been there done that. good luck !!!

Angela - posted on 05/31/2010




You can always opt to go to a pediatrition off post. Talk to your neighbors who have kids and see who they recommend, then look at the listing online for Tricare and see if they are listed as providers. Its easy enough to switch by either changing it online or going into the Tricare office to change providers. Meds can still be filled on post at no cost.

Mary - posted on 05/28/2010




they should have a line where you can call and talk to the nurse at any time.. and on top of that you can request the same doctor when you make an appointment you may just have to wait longer for the appointment. Hope it helps.. :) PS if you don't care for your pcm, go to tricare and request a change.

Shelly - posted on 04/18/2010




Christina is right!! You should not be having a different doctor everytime you go. If you find one you like go straight to Tricare and request a PCM change. Our Ped Doc lives 3 houses down and I love it. But it took me putting in that request and staying on top of them. Military doctors deploy quit often so if you can get a civilain doctor in the hospital you will have more stability. My next door neighbor is one of the PA's and she is wonderful too so don't rule out the PA's alot of times they are much more compassionate! Good luck.

Corinne - posted on 03/25/2010




my advice is to go to tricare and request a civilian doctor! military doctors will always change!!! when my husband and i were overseas i never saw the same doctor more than twice! not only that but if i needed something done ..i had to go to the ER to get my answers!! they have such strict protocols that very veryyyy few of the doctors will break it in order to find out whats really going on!

C. - posted on 03/12/2010




Go through TRICARE.. Go to the TRICARE office and tell them you want a PCM change. You should have the same PCM for you and your child every time you go to the doctor. Now, when we were in HI, we had several PCMs for my son, but I liked meeting everyone b/c we were new out there and I wanted to make sure when I went to change my PCM, that I knew who was best for my son.

Anyway, if going to the TRICARE office does NOT work for switching your PCM, ask them what civilian doctors are in your area that you do not have to pay for or have a low co-pay for and take your daughter there instead. Good luck!

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms