asperger transition

Sharon - posted on 11/01/2009 ( 2 moms have responded )




I have a 17 yr ols son who will graduate from high school next year. I'm needing advise on transition from school to work or poss coleege. I am very forunate his aspergers/autism is mild and I want the most out of life for him!! Thanks a bunch


View replies by

Monika - posted on 11/01/2009




Hi, There are many colleges and Universities that have transition (even Autism Spectrum) programs in their programs. My first guess would be a counselor in the admissions office. My Son is only 9 with Aspergers, but I have a friend whose son transitioned to Sacramento State University (with a dorm and an aide) this year. My friend said they found the program through admissions.

Hope this helps,


User - posted on 11/01/2009




Your son's IEP should follow him into college. If he decides that's the route you want to take, you really need to make sure that the college you decide upon has the resources needed to support your son. My friend's daughter STRUGGLED through high school, but knew she wanted college. She met with their guidance/student services staff prior to picking a school before she decided on where to go. Talk about a 180! She had a staff advisor who facilitated any adjustments/support needed...there were student volunteers who assisted with various tasks to just get her started (like peer ambassadors) She is LOVING it and has developed a couple of good friendships...wouldn't know it was the same child.

Work, I would look into apprentice programs that stress the mentor relationship. Harder to navigate, but your high school guidance counsellor should be able to help.

Good luck and best wishes!


Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms