Autism Dr's

Amy - posted on 06/20/2009 ( 4 moms have responded )




Im trying to find a new doctor for my son, he has just recently turned four, and has Autism. We live in Minnesota. Im having a hard time locating a pediatrician/Dr. that specializes with kids that have autism. I need more advice/direction as far as what type(s) of diet, supplements, sleep med ( if any) Vaccines (if any) etc. I should be considering for my son.

Any advice/help from moms who've been there?


Amy Schmidt


View replies by

Tina - posted on 06/27/2009




Amy self informed is the key there is a lot of information that you have by what you live every day........Drs are for meds .....I have an 8 yrs old with learn to live in HIS WORLD.....and pick and choose your battles....He has learned to control the meltdowns thru jumping or seperation ....

Zenzele - posted on 06/27/2009




Our DAN dr is all booked up and not accepting new patients here in northern california ;(
we only had one to choose from.

Kelli - posted on 06/26/2009




I googled autism support groups in my area, attended and asked questions of those parents who were there about where they were taking their children for therapists, doctors, etc. It was a great resource to learn from other parents who have "been there done that". While I was also reading everything I could to educate myself to navigate the wide variety of opinion out there on how to help my son, it was enormously helpful to learn what others in my community were experiencing and doing. It was also just a great morale booster to know I wasn't alone. Good luck!

Jennifer - posted on 06/25/2009




Hi Amy, I am a pediatric chiropractor and craniosacral therapist from Portland, OR. We treat many kids in our practice with autism and autistic spectrum disorders. In our experience, the best way to find a pediatrician that specializes in autism treatment is to go the the autism research institute website and search for a DAN doctor. DAN stands for Defeat Autism Now and this program provides special training for doctors interested in treating autistic children (they are called DAN docs). To find one in your area visit this webiste In conjunction with a DAN doc, you may also want to consider a pediatric chiropractor and craniosacral therapist. We have been able to help many children manage their autism symptoms with adjustments and craniosacral therapy. If you would like more information or a way to find a ped. chiropractor in your area, let me know, I'd be glad to look into it for you.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms