Using my sons LEGAL last name for school? His dad signed him up under his last name???

Sheena - posted on 09/14/2010 ( 4 moms have responded )




I have a 4year old son thatjust started going to a private pre K. His dads mom signed him up and is paying 100% for the tuition. My only issue is when i went to pick him up from school i saw that everyhting is in my sons dads last name... My son has only my last name,,, im upset and i was wondering if there are any laws reguarding using a childs legal last name..

Am i over reacting?

and how should i confront her about this?

thank you everyone!!


View replies by

Kim - posted on 09/25/2010




My Brother's step son was not allowed to use my Brother's name(he never adopted his step son) in our school system. I guess in another state she was allowed to use it, so some states are different. We had to provide birth certificates to enroll our kids in Public school but not preschool. I would just let them know what his real last name is and have it changed.

Joann - posted on 09/20/2010




well you dont have to have the birth certificate to have him enrolled because no matter what he has to go to school but to fix it youd have to go to the school explain the situation and provide proof of your sons legal name. usually social sercurity card and birth certificate. is the dad on his birth certificate if so thats hows the grandma did for over reaccting no you arent if this isnt dealt with now it can cause problems later. as for telling her be honest do it then tell her that it all needs to be legal and legally his last name is yours not the dads. the issue with me was daddys name wasnt on the certificate but my sons last name was his man it was a pain getting everything legal my son is 4 and im still working on getting everything legal so he can stay in school if its not legal and school finds out here they will dismiss them til everything is ok

[deleted account]

I'm surprised that she could enrol him without the birth certificate. You need to approach the school about it and then just explain to "Grandma" that it's not legal for him to be enrolled under a false name.

Juliana - posted on 09/14/2010




I would go into the school with his birth certificate. The school is supposed to use his legal name. Using the other name isnt legal.

Join Circle of Moms

Sign up for Circle of Moms and be a part of this community! Membership is just one click away.

Join Circle of Moms